Fortuitous and Gastronomy


Advertisement
Europe
May 27th 2011
Published: May 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Two words for the day -- "fortuitous" and "gastronomy."
Fortuitous: We put our bikes together in the baggage claim area in the Lisbon airport. Just as we rolled them into the main lobby of the airport, we noticed two touring cyclists entering. Stopped to chat with them, ask their advice on bicycling in Portugal. They were from Poland and were heading home. However, (remember, fortuitous) they needed two bike boxes. We quickly gave them the ones we had just unpacked -- they headed home; we headed for the center of town. Their using our bike boxes is not only fortuitous, that’s the best recycling plan I know.
2. Gastronomy: Eating and drinking is such a cultural thing that doing so in a foreign country is, well . . . . foreign. First of all, I looked all over the Lisbon airport for a drinking fountain. None to be found. Of course, vendors were selling water, but I just wanted to fill our water bottles. Ten miles later, no water, so I stopped and bought a cold Fanta soda. After we showered at our Warm Showers accommodations, we set out on foot to sniff up some dinner. Finally settled on a little hole-in-the-wall family run restaurant where no one spoke English, and all we can say in Portuguese at this point is “obrigado” (thank you). Bill took the safe route -- hamburger and French fries. I was a bit braver and ordered salade autun, which turned out to be beans with onions and lots and lots of tuna. Not what I was expecting, but delicious and nutritious. The proprietor also brought us some fresh European bread (worth the plane ticket over here) and fresh cheese. Again, delicious. We figured that he was probably taking advantage of the weird Americans, but when the bill came, it was under 14 Euros (less than 20 dollars).

One more item of interest today were the HILLS. Lisbon is an ancient city that has expanded without a plan, winding up and down the steep terrain. So the first five miles today were fantastic, downhill to the Tagus River. The next five miles . . . . No way we could bike up those twisting, narrow, cobblestone hills. So let’s just say that I took my bike for a little walk today. She needed the exercise. And yes, my bike is a she; her name is Lady Liberty. Lady for short. Bill’s trusty steed is named The Tramp. Yeah, Lady and the Tramp. The two of them will spend quite a bit of time together over the next three months. Hope they get along well.

Advertisement



30th May 2011

GOOD
Wow! So wonderful, I like it, thanks for sharing this with us. Congratulations! You have the wonderful writing & presenting skills. I am hoping in future same work from you. Thanks once again.

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb