Reims France


Advertisement
Europe
October 4th 2010
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

Reims is noted for several things -- Champagne, May 7th 1945, Reims Cathedral, & part of the Joan of Arc story.

We started this morning with a visit to the museum that commemorates the signing of the terms of the Nazi surrender to the Allies. The museum is in the actual building that housed first the German occupation forces and then Eisenhower's headquarters. The room where the signing took place has been preserved as it was that early morning. It was the map room for the Allied Forces and the maps are still on the wall just as they were shown in the pictures of the signing meeting.

Our next stop was an 11am champagne house tour and tasting. I am beginning to actually understand the differences in the types and processes. Of course Gary found a bottle of Brut that we felt had to continue the trip with us.

Then lunch at a sidewalk cafe -- demi-baquette sandwich, pomme fritte, and an Amstel beer (and lots of people watching!!)

Now that we were rejuvenated it was time for one more site of Reims... the Cathedral. They are in a long process of trying to preserve this beautiful church. It has over 2,000 statues (one is called the smiling angel) and some of the most phenominal stained glass windows. It was originally built in the late 400's and was rebuilt in the 1200's after a fire. Marc Chagall created a set of stained glass windows that is in one alcove behind the main altar. The size of this church is truly jaw-dropping. Inside it is 455 feet long by 98 feet wide at the nave by 125 feet tall... Yes, that is not a typo... it is 125 feet tall inside. The exterior towers are approximately 267 feet tall. When you sit and think over all that has happened inside the walls... 1600 years... all the prayers that have been said... all the ceremonies and coronation of French kings... Joan of Arc played a roll in the coronation of King Charles VII here at the cathedral. She led the French Army to many important victories during the 100 years war in the 1400s which allowed the King to be crowned.

All in all today has been another glorious day in this fairy tale vacation.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb