Filling the Gap


Advertisement
Europe
March 27th 2010
Published: April 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so the last entry finished with a promise of another about Croatia.... that was June 2006. I clearly never got around to doing a blog entry for Croatia, or any of the other trips I took from London in the 3 1/2 years i was there. So I´ll just run down a brief list from what i can remember (more for my own records rather than cos it will be interesting to anyone else):

- June 06 - Sail Croatia - a week on a boat going up and down the Dalmatian Coast seeing Dubrovnik, Split, Hvar etc. Great times
- October 06 - A weekend in Iceland with Adam, which included seeing the northern lights whilst floating in the blue lagoon. Rates in the top 5 surreal experiences in my life.
- November 06 - a weekend in Malta
- New years 06/07 - a quick drive round Scotland (the resistance museum in Fort Williams has this drink tray with what looks like a paint smear, but when you put a silver wine goblet in the right place the reflection is a very finely detailed picture of Bonnie Price Charlie, quite amazing) before a rained-out Hogmanay in Edinburgh
- Easter 07 - Wales with Adam - Horseriding around the Welsh countryside and Tintern Abbey
- Anzac Day 07 - Gallipoli with Ali, Kelly and Katherine! then Athens (where we met up with Kirsten) and Greek Islands.
- May Bank Holiday 07 - Meet up with Adam, Harvey and Ev in Lisbon after their trip around Spain and Morroco
- June 07 - Glastonbury Festival with Dave and Georgia. Science experiment in Mud
- August Bank Holiday 07 - Long weekend along the Rhine river in Germany with Lou et al
- September(ish?) 07 - a weekend in Amsterdam with Simon.
- Christmas/New Years 07 - Egypt and Morocco with Dave & Georgia.
- Easter 08 - Long spa weekend in Slovakia with Georgia & Mel. Absolute bargain and the first and last time my shoulders have felt truly relaxed.
- May Bank Holiday 08 - A week in Ireland with mum and dad. Got sick of potatoes
- July 08 - A week in a villa in the south of Italy with mum, dad, Dave, Georgia and Adam. Featuring pool and bond-style private entrance to/from the beach. Good times. Followed by a week in Montenegro and Bosnia with Adam. Sarajevo´s a great city with a really good vibe.
- New Years 08/09 - Berlin with Ali and Amy. Hilarious few days were we barely saw daylight and spent far too much time in a club called Matrix.
- February 09 - 10 days in Cuba with Kirsten. Turning point of my time in London - neither of us could bring ourselves to pack to go back.
- Easter 09 - Paris (finally!) with Ali and Hugh.
- May Bank Holiday 09 - Prague with Ali and Amy. Couldn´t find the nightlife everyone raved about. Witnessed possibly the first incidence ever of a Haka fighting crime.
- June 09 - Isle of Wight festival with Ali. Established Bassment Jaxx as one of the coolest things ever - possible third after the end of those world wars.
- June/July 09 - Scandinavia with Kirsten and Kelly - Copenhagen, Gotenburg, Oslo, Voss and Stockholm. Good designer homewares. Followed by a week in Spain for Benecassim music Festival. Got caught up in a dust storm and caught swine flu.
- August Bank Holiday - South of France with mum and dad. Stayed in Juan le Pins, checking out Monaco and Antibes from there.
- December 09 - Left London for Perth for Dave & Georgia´s wedding. Ev managed to swing us some free nights accomodation, car rental and wine tour in Margaret River. Epic score. The start of getting warmth back into my bones.

And since then I´ve been hanging round Auckland, Whitianga (and a week in Wanaka) spending time with everyone (one person in particular obviously) and eating all the things I´ve missed since i left. Many very fun weddings.

But now it´s time to get back on the road. First stop, Costa Rica!!

PS - the list above is from the depths of my memory alone, without photos to jog my memory. If anyone can remind me of other trips we´ve done, please do so!!



Advertisement



Tot: 3.501s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0607s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb