I've seen the mountains, now it's time for the beach!


Advertisement
Europe
October 18th 2009
Published: October 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sunday morning saw us off to Narja, a coastal town on the Costa del Sol. I've been fortunate enough so far to see some very different areas in this part of Spain. The beach here was just as beautiful as Cinque Terre in Italy (both have mountains and cliffs right next to them) but the best part was the pebbles weren't huge! Whilst I didn't go swimming I did enjoy a quick paddle (wow, that makes me sound about 5 doesn't it?). The town itself is also quite nice. Apparently it's a very popular place during summer, particularly with the English and Germans. However, because of this it's lost some of its atmosphere. It's got some nice little gift shops but a lot appear to have closed down too (probably because of the economy at the moment) which is sad.

After a tasty lunch in a beach restaurant in Nerja we headed to nearby Frigiliana. It's an extremely charming Moorish village well known for its white buildings climbing their way up the Monte El Fuerte and its locally produced wines. This area is also visited by tour buses during the summer but we were lucky enough to visit when it was quiet. It's got a great atmosphere here with lots of small streets with potted plants and beautifully ornamental pebble mosaic roads. The little church is also very tastefully decorated (compared to many of the larger highly gilded ones I've seen) and nice for a quick sticky beak. They had many more craft based stores here too (because originally the town was primarily populated with crafts people and some still live and work here today) but many were closed because it was off season.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Burriana BeachBurriana Beach
Burriana Beach

The best of the Nerja beaches


19th October 2009

Sandy beach
The No2 beach looks like sand rather than pebbles, and what spectacular scenery with the mountains behind them. You can see why it's popular with the holiday makers. Was it very hot?
20th October 2009

The weather looks great! Have fun, we liked Nerja. Plus your blog of Alhambra reminded us of what a great spot Granada is also. Cheers!
20th October 2009

WOW, thanks for the memories
I really enjoyed your post. I, having served in the US military, was stationed in Germany and got the chance to tour most of Europe. However, I never made it to Spain. Bummer. Thanks, Harry
21st October 2009

It was sand with small pebbles. Yeah it was pretty warm actually (which seems strange because 3 days later it's quite cold!). Probably around 30 degrees.
21st October 2009

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the comment.
21st October 2009

You'll have to make a special trip some time! Thanks for the feedback.

Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 95; dbt: 0.0959s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb