Day 1: London-Paris-Munich


Advertisement
Europe
September 26th 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

* 1,200km

Mixed feelings on Eurostar. Excited but anxious for first time. Last few weeks in London had felt like the build up to Christmas. Work manic, friends and family to see, loads of things to buy and sort out, no early nights, drinking most days. Hadn't thought about the trip at all other than in the most general terms. Cape Town suddenly seemed a long way off.

Mood changed in Paris. Dumped rucksack and tuxedo at Gare Du Nore, hoped on Metro and jumped off by Seine to discover a stunning autumn day. Elation - Paris was mine for 8 hours and my weekend was 270 days long. Strolled over the islands to Notre Dame, wandered round the cathedral and the Louvre and bought fromage, jambon and a bottle of Beaujolais from an old school Parisian for journey to Munich.

Paris seemed more traditional than London. Small cafes, boutiques, bakeries and delis on every corner, little sign of souless american retailers. Similar areas probably exist in London, but the absence of Starbucks, McDonalds or Subway was noticable and strangely liberating.

Bought a couple of Kronenbergs from minimarket and returned to Seine to watch sun set. Happy young french kids were donig the same. Air suddenly appeared on my iPod with their ambient trip-hop. Heaven.

Didn't want to leave Paris but had to board 8pm sleeper to Munich. Couchette was snug.

Advertisement



4th October 2009

October Fest
How did you not realise that it was October Fest in Munich? I loved Munich on our visit years ago. Lots of pork to eat and strong German women serving several steins at a time. Glad that Paris is not full of Starbucks and Subways! Hope Istanbul was good. Enjoying reading your blog- Nick is upset as Liverpool have just lost 2-0 to Chelsea- so he is cross at the moment. Love Frances

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb