The final week of Top Deck tour


Advertisement
Europe
September 28th 2009
Published: September 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

MONDAY 21 SEPTEMBER 2009, RUSSIA TO LATVIA

Early start this morning with a 7:30am departure. Was quite a long bus day which was compounded by another lengthy border crossing which took about two hours. I think it was almost as difficult to get out of Russia as it was to get in!! They also made us all take our luggage off of the coach and get it x-rayed which just added to the process. After exiting Russia it was time to enter Latvia, which was slightly easier given it is in the EU and several people on the bus have EU passports, and most of the rest of us are Aussie or Kiwi.

From there it was another few hours onto the capital city of Riga. Checked into our hotel which was a lot better than the one the previous evening and had about an hour or so to shower before we all met to head into town.

Since Matty had already had a long drive day, we all got the bus into town. Poor Heather was stuck with having to buy 19 bus tickets for all of us - not sure how happy the driver was about that!! Had a very quick walking tour of the city before dinner; so went past the Freedom Monument, St Peter’s Cathedral, Dom Cathedral, Riga Castle, the main squares, before ending up at an Italian restaurant for dinner. Even though dinner tonight was included we actually got to chose what we ordered off the menu up to a certain price which made for quite a nice change. Anyway, I ended up having this delicious chicken pasta dish and a banana split for dessert which I couldn’t even finish. In the end, dinner ended up taking the better part of three hours so by the time it was over a lot of us headed straight to the bus intending on getting the last bus home. After standing in the cold waiting for a good half hour it became clear that somehow, even though we were at the bus station well in advance on the last bus; we had managed to miss the last one. In the end, seven of us flagged down a maxi taxi which only cost a little more each than the bus would have. We did however manage to flag down what I could only describe as a party taxi - complete with music videos playing on a small screen and lights hooked up to a bus that flashed in the back section. Was definitely the most interesting taxi ride I have ever had!!!

TUESDAY 22 SEPTEMBER 2009, LATVIA

Free day today so I was up early to get some uni stuff done before breakfast at about 9am when some of the other people got up. At about 9:30-10am a few of us caught the local bus into town. Bus driver told us off as he had inadvertently undercharged one of the girls - but he couldn’t speak English so he had to do it through another passenger. Interesting times…

Got into town and strolled through the main areas, past the cathedrals etc that we had done the previous night. My first main stop was St Peter’s Cathedral for the viewing tower of views over the city. It was so windy at the top though it was slightly ridiculous. For once though at the top there was a massive cage-like structure which meant no one was anywhere near the edge so I actually wasn’t concerned about the height. We had also been able to get a lift most of the way up the tower which was another bonus! From there I headed to the Occupation Museum - which documented Latvia’s history of occupation by the Soviets and Germany. I found it really interesting (probably because the history is all about a time period that I can relate to!!) and spent a good couple of hours there in the end.

From there it was onto Dom Cathedral which has stunning stained glass and one of the largest organs in Europe (although covered with scaffolding which detracted from it somewhat!!). From there it was time for Indian food for lunch. Managed to get the ‘business lunch special’ which was chicken curry with rice and tandoori roti. Been craving Indian food for weeks so it was well deserved.

After lunch it was time for a quick spot of browsing the shops and picking up some souvenirs, before wandering in the area outside of the old town admiring the art nouveau buildings. Then it was back to the hostel for an early night.

WEDNESDAY 23 SEPTEMBER - LATVIA TO LITHUANIA

Another mostly drive day today with an early start, couple of toilet breaks including a 45 minute break at the Hill of Crosses. They can’t even start to estimate how many crosses there are because they are so jammed in everywhere, with small crosses hanging off of larger ones, etc etc. It is said that each and every cross represents the spirit of the Lithuanians and has become a place of national pilgrimage. Some of the crosses are memorials to those that have passed. Basically it is a hill of crosses. We only stopped there for 45 minutes because we got lost and so Matty had to take a 45 minute break. Otherwise it would have been just a 15-30 minute break which would have been more than long enough. Was nice to have a break though.

About two hours after that it was a lunch stop which was sandwiches again. With a time change over the border we managed to get into Vilnuis, which is the capital of Lithuania, at about 3pm. After a quick check in we headed out on a walking tour of the city with Heather. It was one of the few times we actually got to stay very close into the Old Town which was great - meant we could come and go from the hotel without too much of a hassle!!

The walking tour took us basically through the main streets, into Town Hall Square and through to the cathedral. The old town is a Unesco World Heritage Site. The tour started at the Gates of Dawn which is the cities only original gate still standing and continued on through to old town until we got to St John’s church. Technically the tour then continued onto the castle, etc, but I didn’t stick around to see that.

Instead, two of the girls and I headed off to see the Museum of Genocide Victims which documents the Baltics’ struggles under Soviet and German rule - and is in the old KGB Headquarters and prison. The building itself was stunning and from the outside you wouldn’t have had a clue what had gone on not that long ago. The only indication (now at least) is the fact that the names of those murdered in the prison are now engraved into the stone walls outside.

The displays were really clear - heaps of photos, plenty of English translations, a lot to take in given we only had an hour. All of us were pretty interested in seeing the basement which was where prisoners had been taken, jailed and processed, and at times interrogated. It was pretty horrific - particularly the padded room which was just plain disturbing. Likewise for the execution chamber which has a glass floor through which you can see remnants (shoes, etc) of those killed in the chamber.

Since the museum was closing we had to head off so wandered back through the old town where did another spot of souvenir shopping before deciding that it was time for dinner. Found a ‘traditional Lithuanian’ restaurant that had a massive beer menu - including food made with beer. So we had a few beers and I got a vege stew which was delicious, as well as a bread thing for a starter.

Got back to the hotel a bit after 9pm and had another early evening!

THURSDAY 24 SEPTEMBER 2009 - LITHUANIA TO POLAND

Another long drive day today saw us leaving shortly around 8am after a standard hotel breakfast. A toilet break while still in Lithuania where we could spend the last of our currency before moving into Poland and onto Warsaw. Along the way we stopped for lunch (sandwiches) until eventually arriving to our campsite just outside of Warsaw at around 5pm. Set up the cook tent with some difficulty (all the boys that had been ‘trained’ to do have now left) before we had some free time. The cabins were pretty average - mostly just really old and won down. I was dying to do some washing as was one of the other girls, so after finding out that there was a laundry at a nearby shopping centre (the camping ground didn’t have one) we set off with our bags of dirty clothes.

Was about a 15 minutes walk, then first stop was a bank to change up some money. After asking quite a few people (not much English seems to be spoken out in the suburbs of Warsaw) we located the ‘laundry’ only to find out it was more of a dry cleaners - ie/ a pay-per-item deal. So we didn’t bother. Grabbed some drinks at the supermarket and Cath grabbed a coffee (ran into quite a few other people along the way too - can’t escape!) before heading back to the camping ground. I had a quick shower and washed out a few clothes to last me until Berlin. With all of my dirty clothes packed back into my bag, we still had plenty of time until dinner so most of us hung out by the cook tent ‘helping’ Timmy and taste testing some home-made punch.

Dinner was at 7:30pm and was BBQ - complete with steaks, sausages, chicken and salads, plus ‘puddings’ for dessert. The punch was also delicious and between the 19 of us we managed to polish off quite a bit of vodka/champagne/juice punch before heading to bed just after midnight (following a sing-along with Timmy on guitar and some huddling in the cook tent to keep warm).

FRIDAY 25 SEPTEMBER 2009 - WARSAW, POLAND

Free day in Warsaw today. I woke up feeling like crap - couldn’t breath through my nose and could tell I was coming down with a cold as I was very blocked up and had a cough (which had been developing for a few days already). Got a hot breakfast this morning of bacon and eggs too which I didn’t really enjoy because I was feeling ill. Pity.

The driving tour of Warsaw started at about 9:30am and covered a lot of what I saw earlier in the year when I went to Warsaw. However, we also visited the old Jewish Ghettos and saw the monument to the Jewish Uprising and the Warsaw Ghetto Monument. The driving tour went for about an hour or so, after which time we were dropped off at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, where there was a large group of new recruits being sworn into the Army (50 points to whoever found that out!). I headed off for a walk into Old Town and retraced (in sunshine this time) my steps from last time I was here - wandered along the city walls and through the town squares and old streets.

After grabbing a quick bite to eat I found a chemist and using sign language got some medication of some description. It wasn’t even 2pm but since I was feeling really run down I decided not to wait for the 8pm pick-up that evening and so got the bus back to the camping ground. Pretty much took it easy for the rest of the day; drinking heaps of water and taking the Polish meds. Went up to the shopping centre as well to use the internet etc.

Everyone else got home just after 8:30pm, and I think we were all in bed by 9pm and asleep before 10pm. Long days.

SATURDAY 26 SEPTEMBER - WARSAW TO BERLIN

Final bus day today and a very early start too with a 7:30am departure. Two toilet stops while still in Poland until making it over the border back in Germany (and back to using the euro) where we stopped for a picnic lunch which was burritos. Even though I was still feeling ill I managed to eat two since it was me that had requested them to start with. Voice very croaky today as well and still feeling pretty average. Better every time I get off the bus though funnily enough! Think it’s the fresh air. In the afternoon we cracked open some drinks and celebrated getting back into Berlin.

We got into Berlin at about 5:30pm and checked back into Wombats. I was hoping to have time to do washing before dinner but having throught about it a bit more decided not to risk having no clean clothes for tonight and to do it first thing in the morning. Instead I repacked the bottom of my bag so that I could fit my sleeping bag into it, before eventually showering and dressing for dinner. Three of us wanted showers so that took a little bit of scheduling.

At 7:30pm we all got back onto the Top Deck bus and Matty drove us to dinner - which I think was an Irish pub. Apparently Top Deck always go there at the end of their tours. Anyway, they did cocktails that were reasonably priced and beer that was sort of expensive! The soup we had for entrée was quite nice (although I had very little appetite probably because of this cold) and then mains were like these two meat pattys (one beef and one pork) with skanky looking beans and some fries. I barely ate anything - didn’t find it appetising to look at and even the meat patty I ate wasn’t all that nice. There were also two dogs running round the bar area and the restaurant which I found a bit off putting.

After dinner we were all basically forced into karaoke (with barely any voice I immediately had an excuse not to participate). The crew started by singing ‘Ken Lee’ which had become somewhat like our theme song (to everyone else - it is actually called Can’t Live). Feeling under pressure and because no one was interested, some of the girls eventually agreed to go up in groups and sing. It was all very awkward and after a half dozen songs it all ended.

Then it was back onto the bus for the final time ever. In true Heather style she played our wake-up song one last time (Take a Chance) and some others which had been widely discussed over the previous days. We got back to Wombats at around 10pm or so I guess and headed to the Sky Bar for a few drinks.

Tammy from our group managed to cause a little trouble with a fellow Wombats guest who had had a go at her. Tammy asked her not to speak to her again and the girl wasn’t very happy - spent all night basically trying to start a fight. Tammy just ignored her - but at one stage we had to get a guy from the bar to come over in case it got out of hand. Even when the other girl left she still wanted to punch on. All because Tammy asked her, after the other girl had been rude, not to speak to her.

From there a few of us headed out, to a place that had been recommended called Panorama. Lined up for about 20 minutes and noticed a lot of people being turned away from the queue. Andre decided to leave and since Rob had left his ID behind left his ID with Rob (not that they look anything alike mind you).

Anyway, got to the front of the queue, asked how many of us there were, we said three, they said not tonight and we were told to move on. Feeling a bit disheartened, we found a cab driver who spoke English and asked to go somewhere else that Michelle knew. He told us that they wouldn’t have let us in because we look ‘too nice, not trashy enough.’ Explains why the group of about six guys in front who looked like they were ready for a punch-on were let in!!

Anyway ended up at this other bar which was heavy on the techno music but very ‘underground/ grungy’ place. Steep entry fee though - 12 euro. Went with the steep drink prices - a coke cost me three euro for a small bottle. Anyway we danced for a few hours before eventually getting the Metro back to the hostel in the early hours of the morning. Managed to get it initially going the wrong way, so what should have taken us about 30 minutes ended up taking us the best part of an hour.

SUNDAY 27 SEPTEMBER - BERLIN TO PRAGUE

Despite not wanting to get up until 9:30am this morning, I was up by 8am and showered soon after. Even though I felt a lot better - I sounded a lot worse, which probably wasn’t helped by the fact that I had gone out the night before; even though I hadn’t really been drinking.

Put on the only clothes I had clean and put all the rest into the washing machines downstairs. Then used the internet for a bit and rang home before putting my clothes in the dryer. The dryer was still going when I had to check out at 10am so I put my pretty-much empty bag into the luggage storeroom and headed to breakfast. Most of us had said we would be at breakfast late because of the early check-out.

After breakfast it was time to repack my bag and then I basically spent the day chilling in the hostel foyer. Having only had about 2-3 hours sleep and having been to Berlin before, I figured I would make the most of free internet and comfy seats to get some uni stuff done and catch up on emails. Think most people that hadn’t left Berlin had the same thing in mind - with most of us sitting in the foyer at one point or another.

About 1pm or so I headed to Alexanderplatz to try to change some money - but nothing was open as it was a Sunday. I grabbed a kebab and ate about half of it and then wandered for a bit before heading back to the hostel. Said some more goodbyes and at about 3pm I left the hostel myself and headed to the international bus station. By this stage I barely had a voice.

My bus left at 4:30pm so by the time I got to the bus station I had about 45 minutes - enough time to comfortably find my platform, use the toilets and check whether or not I needed to check in. Have to admit - it was so nice to be doing my own thing again and not having to wait for someone to tell me what to do and how to do - and not have to wait for everyone to show up etc. Back to my own pace and my own timetable!! Mind you - I am not looking forward to the other aspect - lugging my bag on and off of public transport...

Bus was only half full when I got on which was good and I managed to get some sleep. Bus stopped three times during the six hour journey for toilet breaks, and another few times to pick up people. I think it was in the German town of Gjor that the bus filled up - but even then I still managed to sleep for most of the journey.

Got into Prague bus station about 10:30pm. Didn’t have any local currency so had to withdraw some and then buy something to get some change for the metro. Got to the hostel at about 11:30pm after getting slightly lost between exiting the metro station and arriving at the hostel. No surprise there really.

Was assigned a room at my hostel only to walk into the room I was supposed to have to discover that it looked like all of the beds were taken. Had to go back downstairs, hostel dude came up and checked, and eventually just put me into a smaller dorm for the same price.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.297s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb