Killarney to Dublin


Advertisement
Europe
May 31st 2009
Published: May 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

So yesterday we made another mammoth drive from Killarney to Dublin. We stopped off in Blarney where the famous Blarney stone resides. Since Mike has the gift of eloquence already, he chose to not go up and kiss the stone, but meet up with his relatives instead. Three of the girls went to the castle, climbed the stairs, bent over and kissed the stone. We haven't noticed anything yet, but I'm sure they'll be speaking Gaelic anytime now. My relatives were great. We chatted for a while over a cup of tea and then sat down for a nice pick nick Sharon had put together. The three kids where fun and interesting and Ken and Sharon where great Irish hosts. We had to end lunch quickly as we had to get up to Dublin before our time with our driver ran out. The one stop we did make was at the Rock of Cashel. We thought it was just some famous rock... check out the pics it was well worth the detour. After that it was pretty much highway driving... Ireland has been improving its road system and in fact we took the new motor way that had just opened up a few weeks earlier. It probably cut off and hour of drive time. Once our driver got us to our hotel we checked in, got all fancied up and went out clubbing... no pics on that, but it was fun.

Today was a museum day and hence not may pics either (you’re not allowed to take picture in the museums)... we visited the Book of Kells at Trinity College and then went to see the bog people at the national museum. Can I say, "I see dead people". The other cool thing going on right now in Dublin is the maritime festival. It’s basically the same as Hertitage festival back in Edmonton, only on the edge of a harbour with several old tall ships that are moored for display and boarding. We went to that and walked around for a couple of hours then went off to the Porterhouse Brewpub micro brewery. The only Irish owned brewery in Ireland.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The murder holeThe murder hole
The murder hole

This is where you pour boiling hot liquids or other nasty things down on your enimies who have just successfully broken through your outer defenses
The Rock of CashelThe Rock of Cashel
The Rock of Cashel

All I have to say is 800 years old
Jeanie JohnsonJeanie Johnson
Jeanie Johnson

The only famine ship to never loose an Irish emigrant during the potato famine.
Tall shipsTall ships
Tall ships

The docked tall ships at the maritime festival


Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb