The trip of a lifetime, in pixel form


Advertisement
Europe
February 22nd 2009
Published: February 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, it's been over two months since my final entry, but the experiences didn't stop there. After my semester ended, Erin, Jordan and I took a grand trip around Europe (Italy, Switzerland, Germany, France, and Spain)... it was an experience that can never be repeated... some of the most amazing 17 days of my life. Going to Spain, I felt like I was experiencing a culture that was entirely new an... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 124, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

PurtyPurty
Purty

A look down the beautiful streets of Rome.
The PantheonThe Pantheon
The Pantheon

The Pantheon from the outside, with an obelisk out front. Rome has a LOT of obelisks.
Trevi FountainTrevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain

We wound up at Trevi a couple of times... it was absolutely gorgeous! Not as big as I was expecting, but it was really a cool fountain and a nice, relaxing place to just sit and enjoy the night.
B/WB/W
B/W

Same picture, but in black and white... I love turning pictures into black and white :)
Make a wish!Make a wish!
Make a wish!

(Incorrectly) tossing our coins into the fountain... apparently you're supposed to throw it over your opposite shoulder. Oops!
Gelato :)Gelato :)
Gelato :)

Giolitti, the oldest gelateria in Rome. We went their twice, as it was amazing gelato (and cheap too!).
NighttimeNighttime
Nighttime

The Coliseum at night... way too cool!
Enjoying the sitesEnjoying the sites
Enjoying the sites

Erin and Jordan, enjoying the beauty of the Coliseum.
Don't want to be robbed!Don't want to be robbed!
Don't want to be robbed!

We stayed at a LOT of hostels on this trip, and some were better than others. This one was rather shady, and so we strapped down our bags to keep them from being stolen. Classy.
Not done with the Vatican yet!Not done with the Vatican yet!
Not done with the Vatican yet!

Christmas Eve... we went back to the Vatican and I got this one through a fountain in the Square
ComfyComfy
Comfy

Waiting for Mass to begin, we hung out on the ground of the Square... not as comfortable as it looks!
Going up?Going up?
Going up?

The elevators in Europe are ridiculous, and this one only held two people... a rule our hostel strongly enforced.
NativityNativity
Nativity

The nativity scene set up in St. Peter's Square. Baby Jesus wasn't put in until midnight, but it was beautiful nonetheless.
Last one!Last one!
Last one!

I swear, this is the last shot of the Basilica I have... all ready to go for Midnight Mass!
BackpackersBackpackers
Backpackers

Hiking through the streets of Florence (the second stop on our trip) with our backpacks... we were extremely sore by the end of the trip!
Il DuomoIl Duomo
Il Duomo

The Duomo in Florence, or at least one of the towers of it.
Loosen up, buddy!Loosen up, buddy!
Loosen up, buddy!

One of the best street performers we saw. Most are actually pretty terrible, but he was fantastic.
Looking upLooking up
Looking up

A look up at the front of the Duomo... the outside was incredibly strange, but beautiful in its own way.
DoodlesDoodles
Doodles

A few sketches hanging in the Uffizi Galleries. This was the only picture I took inside. We also got to go see Michelangelo's David, which was INCREDIBLE. One of the highlights of the trip, for sure. We stared at it for a good 30 minutes, in sheer awe. Michelangelo deserves all the praise he gets. Genius.
Not much neck supportNot much neck support
Not much neck support

Erin, demonstrating our unbelievably thin pillows in our Florence hostel. This picture doesn't do them justice, either... they were about half that thin. Ridiculous.
FirenzeFirenze
Firenze

The streets of Florence... unfortunately, we didn't get to see much of the city by day. We were only in Florence for two days, one of which was spent in museums and the other was a day trip to Venice (but we came back to Florence at night). The problem with traveling in the winter is that it's dark by about 5:00 everywhere. What we saw was lovely though.



25th February 2009

great shots!
These are fantastic photographs, Laura! I can see why you deserved your win in the photo contest!

Tot: 0.341s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb