Day 12 - Glencoe - Invermoriston (Loch Ness)


Advertisement
Europe
June 4th 2008
Published: June 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Loch LinnheLoch LinnheLoch Linnhe

Just east of Glencoe. And a glorious day for cycling
Today was relatively flat, alongside several lochs. While it did not match the stunning scenery of yesterday, it was certainly very pleasant. We took in the UK's highest point - Ben Nevis, its largest body of freshwater - Loch Ness, and also our highest average speed - are you ready stats fans? 16.7 m/h! The previous days had ranged from 11.5-14.1.

Our hostel was somewhat rustic and remote, situated on the northern shore of Loch Ness. So we ordered a curry from Drumnadrochit, 12 miles away, and Gareth and Ben cycled the 6 mile round-trip to Invermoriston, to buy booze. The shopkeeper's accent betrayed Lancashire roots - he was Oldham born and bred. Was it because of this, or merely sympathy at Gareth and Ben's collective state, that he gave us free bread to keep for our breakfast the following morning?

58 miles. Gareth rode a whole day without his knee support. However this merely showed off the lovely friction burns on his skin and the masses of midgy bites he collected at Glencoe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Loch LevenLoch Leven
Loch Leven

East, back towards Glencoe.
In high spiritsIn high spirits
In high spirits

Ben, Gareth and Rolfe enjoying the day's cycling, and Ben Nevis in the background.
Caledonian CanalCaledonian Canal
Caledonian Canal

Between Loch Oich and Loch Ness
Loch NessLoch Ness
Loch Ness

Ben and Rolfe on the banks of Loch Ness
Loch Ness at duskLoch Ness at dusk
Loch Ness at dusk

Not long 'til midnight


5th June 2008

Not far to go now!
Ben - the house is still standing and I’ve even had a crack at mowing the lawn. I’ve ruined the coffee table but you won’t be able to tell because a man from the Yellow Pages will have sorted by the time you get back. Where have the photos gone? Good luck to the three of you for the rest of the way.
5th June 2008

I am very envious of your journey (now that it's stopped raining). Certainly sounds like more of a fun challenge than revising for exams. I know I haven't made any comments thus far, but Gav and I have been thinking about you (especially when looking at the weather forecast) and your travelling tales have kept me amused, impressed and sane in the last few weeks! Well done, keep on going! Lots of love, Maf (and Gav!)
5th June 2008

Few more miles to destination, few more pounds to fundraising target
Everyone who knows you, should be very proud of your achievement. Anyone who hasn't sponsored you just yet, should be a little bit ashamed... but there is still time... too close! well done guys!
5th June 2008

Bonnie Scotland
Alright gents, congratulations on cranking up your average speed, I know how much it means to you. Can't believe you're getting better weather in Scotchland than you did daan saaaf. Unbelievable. Keep up the good work, not long to go now...
6th June 2008

go you gays
nearly there! hope you enjoy the north coast. awooga!
7th June 2008

Pain
Gareth...I hope your knee's performance was better then Wales' against the Boks today...:-)

Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb