River cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam


Advertisement
Europe
March 23rd 2008
Published: March 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

A toast to our first river cruiseA toast to our first river cruiseA toast to our first river cruise

We found that having unlimited wine included with dinner encouraged many toasts.
Our first river cruise was with Avalon Waterways on "Artistry" from Budapest to Amsterdam (May 20, 2006-June 3, 2006). After years of traveling on our own or traveling with a bus tour, we found river cruising to be so relaxing. It was just as advertised - unpack only once. We talked about the pleasure of not having to wake up early and re-pack every morning in order to get on the bus before it left. That aspect turned out to be only a partial luxury because we were up early every morning to join the tour (sometimes walking and sometimes by bus), we just didn't have to repack. What we didn't think about until we were on the boat was the sheer luxury of relaxing in our cabin (or in the lounge or suneck) whenever the mood struck. After our first river cruise we were cruise fans and we have taken one additional river cruise (Amsterdam to Switzerland) and one ocean-going cruise (Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina) about which I hope to write more.

This is my first blog (and retrospective) so, to a certain extent, this is a test blog. It is, nevertheless, a real trip and I
Suite 305Suite 305Suite 305

For our first river cruise we booked one of the two suites on the ship.
hope to complete a full Trip Report with lots of representative pictures as I learn how this process works.
I am very excited to have found this TravelBlog.org site and I hope it turns out to be the answer to sharing our trips with friends, family, and anyone else who may be interested.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Another view of the suiteAnother view of the suite
Another view of the suite

The cabin was significantly larger than the regular cabins but not as large as an ocean-going vessel suite. The bathroom was worth the price of admission but I can't find a picture.
Fitness Center aboard ArtistryFitness Center aboard Artistry
Fitness Center aboard Artistry

This tiny ship has one beautiful fitness center with a great jacuzzi.
The Artistry Bar/LoungeThe Artistry Bar/Lounge
The Artistry Bar/Lounge

Not the best photo of the lounge area but on such a tiny ship it was the area where we congregated for lectures and shows.
Crossing another ship to get to shoreCrossing another ship to get to shore
Crossing another ship to get to shore

Sometimes the ship "double-parked" at a dock and the first ship made itself available for us to cross over.
Toasting in RegensburgToasting in Regensburg
Toasting in Regensburg

When on vacation drink the best available. In Germany, that is usually the beer!
In one of the Main-Danube Canal locksIn one of the Main-Danube Canal locks
In one of the Main-Danube Canal locks

We were not usually allowed on the deck when the ship was in a lock. This was a treat.


24th March 2008

A well written blog
I just wanted to congratulate you on a very well presented blog. I can not wait until my next river cruise. It will be in France in June. Any chance we could meet up?
24th March 2008

"Meeting up"
I think since we will be sharing a cabin there is a good chance we will "meet up". Thanks for the comments.

Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb