Auschwitz


Advertisement
Europe
October 28th 2005
Published: November 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We spent two hours today visiting Auschwitz. We walked the grounds and toured some of the brick barrack buildings--each one was devoted to a specific theme or group of peoples. It was a very harrowing experience.

Some of these buildings include...

The evidence of the Holocaust. We saw heaps of spectacles, shoes, suitcases and hairbrushes which were taken from the people as they went into the camp. (Many did not realize where they were going).

Another exhibition featured the Czech peoples specifically. We read biographies and saw photos of noted people in the Jewish community in Prague.

Other buildings displayed the Nazi propaganda--the premeditated means by which these people were dehumanized.

Finally we went inside the early gas chambers and crematoriums that the retreating Germans failed to destroy.

These acts were so horrific that it is beyond comprehension. The mind searches for ways to believe that this did not happen, but we know it did. We left troubled, knowing only that humanity does not have the final word of judgement on these events.

Advertisement



5th November 2005

Horrors of Man
It must have been quite stomach churning to view the buildings and imagine the brutality of the National Socialists. I visited a concentration camp and ghetto in Czech Republic near a town called Terezin. It is about as low as modern humans can go.
9th November 2005

SUNSHINE ITS SO WONDERFUL TO BE ABLE TO SEE EUROPE THROUGH YOUYREYES KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GOD BLESS LOVE MISS YA MOM

Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb