Laos


Advertisement
Europe
October 16th 2007
Published: October 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

VientieneVientieneVientiene

Testing
I have now arriced in Lang Prabang, Laos after a 2 day boat trip from the Thai border. I have to say it was a stunning boat ride with many National Geographic moments that left me fully reminded of how lucky I am to be able to do this. Jungle filled mountains and hills covered both sides of the huge river. The contrast with Thailand was remarkable, where the years of capitalist outreach have fairly taken their toll on the natural beauty of Thailands cities and countryside Laos is only really just begining this hedonistic destuctive path. Even so it is doing it Laos style with a slow meandering pace that is reflected in the river I travelled.

The long boat passed many little villages that left the mind in awe of the remarkably unchanged lifestyle that seems to exist here. We passed places of deforestation too. Trees replaced with farms that, although sad for the environment, had thier own unkempt charm. We stayed in the town, ENTER, for a night. The guide had told us this town was a charmless market town and that it was overpriced, both of which proved to be overstated; he was selling the extra fast boat upgrade at the time that just so happened to miss this town. On arrival here we me Douglas from Spain who had touristed there for a week; travelling to other villages nearby. He only had good things to say about the area and seemed to find more of that authentic culture experience that many travelers pine for.

Trevor, Jenny, Ellie and myself had food in a bar opposite and passed down a couple of offfers for drugs during the prolonged service of the resaurant. The food was edible enough. Descriptions were not though. The curry was not spicy in the least, and was more like soup. The soup was spicy and more like curry. Well thats just the Laos way I guess.

The last of the journey to lang prabang did prove tiresome even if the view did continue to astound and improve. I think the drink the previous 2 nights was starting to take its toll. After several stunning and tiresome hours I arrived in Lang Prabang at 6:00pm. Getting of the boat we met 2 drunk and stoned Ausies who for some reason trusted and followed to accomodation. Turns out they were touting the place in exchange for beers. At least they had choosen a good place to toute the FILL IN was very clean, neat, tidy, well provisioned and had friendly staff. For only £2.50 is close to the best value yet.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb