Los Hooligans


Advertisement
Europe
July 20th 2007
Published: July 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So here we are in Ibiza, everyone.

Ibiza town (a.k.a Eivissa), is a big glitzy tropical paradise for the jet-setting crowd, complete with white-sand beaches, yacht clubs and ultra-cool lounges where internationally-reknowned DJ's come to spin.

However, that's not where we are.

Instead we have gone to Sant Antoni de Portmany (or San An for short), in the northwest corner of the island. It is a much cheaper place to live, and closer to some nice beaches - and, it faces the west, meaning that you get to watch the sun set every evening. The world-famous Cafe del Mar is there, too.

So far, it has been a mixed bag.

On the one hand, San An is a sun-drenched party town, with music, bars, and quick access to the beaches.

On the other hand, the kind of party we're talking about is more like a football hooligan party than a lounge-y chillout party. A few places such as Cafe Del Mar (cool, but expensive) aside, we've just discovered that San An's football bars are the holiday destination of choice for every beer-fueled teenage kid in England with a passport and fifty quid in his pocket.

It's not unusual to see freshly sunburnt teenage yobs wandering through the streets of San An in huge packs, looking for trouble.

That's quite a brockwurst-fiesta of a sight to behold, and it's not exactly the peaceful tropical paradise we were looking for...

For some strange reason however, the English kids don't much like to go beyond the confines of San An town. Outside of town we have seen only Italians and Spaniards, with a few Frenchmen and Dutchmen. From time to time.

So although our first impression of Ibiza has not been terribly impressive, we've been trying to make lemon margaritas out of the big lemon that is downtown San An, and following the Italians and Spaniards out to the beaches.

And wow, what a difference a few miles make...

(We'll add pictures as soon as we can get a hold of those 1 euro/15 min computadoras de internet - stay tuned nuestros amigos).

Advertisement



22nd July 2007

We love your photos and comments.....
It feels like we are there with you. It's wonderful to see the places through your eyes! Looking forward to more photos....with sunshine, beaches and all! May God Bless you both! Love from us!

Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb