Tips to stay safer on the road


Advertisement
Europe
December 31st 2021
Published: December 31st 2021
Edit Blog Post

Whether you're driving in traffic or are spending time on a side road, you're always putting yourself at risk when you're spending time in the car. Although you may not be able to control the actions of other motorists, there are still ways to reduce your risk of an accident. Here are a few main tips to follow to ensure you stay safer on the road the next time you plan to travel.

Practice Defensive Driving

Defensive driving can allow you to protect yourself from the mistakes of other motorists. Always scan the road ahead to look for any hazards that are present in the road or cars that are stopped on the shoulder. Reduce your speed to ensure you have enough time to stop your vehicle if the car ahead of you slams on its brakes. If another driver hits your car, you'll need to reach out to a car accident attorney to ensure you can seek compensation. He or she will inform you of your rights and can work directly with the other insurance company that represents the driver.

Avoid Distractions

There are many different distractions that can compromise your ability to operate a car safely. It's important to put your phone in the backseat of your glove compartment to avoid the temptation to use it while spending time behind the wheel. Many smartphone devices include settings that prevent you from using the device as the car is in motion, which can offer you accountability.

Additional distractions to avoid include eating, applying makeup, or spending time adjusting the settings on the dashboard.

Check the Weather Conditions

It's important to always stay updated on the most recent weather report to ensure you work your travel plans around harsh weather conditions that may arrive. Download a weather app on your phone to ensure you receive alerts the next time high winds or heavy rainfall is expected.

It's also necessary to have rainboots and a raincoat in your trunk to ensure you can have the necessary items if you get stuck in stormy weather.

Maintain Your Vehicle

Proper maintenance of your vehicle is essential to reduce the risk of issues that can occur under the hood. Always change your oil every 3,000 miles, and check the owner's manual to determine what the manufacturer's recommendations are in advance.

It's also necessary to rotate the tires every time you change the oil to ensure there's even wear on all four tires. Replace your windshield wipers every six months, which can wear down and prevent you from having a clear view of the road. Routine inspections will also tell you when the headlights need to be replaced or if the brake pads are starting to wear down to ensure your car is safe to drive.

Leave Early

Many drivers are prone to speeding and driving poorly when they're in a rush and are stressed. Try to leave 10 to 15 minutes in advance to give yourself time to drive in traffic or take any alternate routes if roads are closed. When you're not in a rush, you're prone to make better decisions and can reduce the risk of a collision.

Driving safely can allow you to have more confidence on the road each season. You can avoid potential mistakes and even protect yourself from the mistakes of other motorists.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.555s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.2353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb