JFK or LaGuardia: Which Airport is Best for Travelers?


Advertisement
Europe
August 15th 2019
Published: August 15th 2019
Edit Blog Post



As we all know, the world-famous city of New York is visited by millions of people every year from all over the world. If you're planning a trip to New York City by air, you are probably wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of two of its major airports: John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and LaGuardia Airport (LGA).

Location:




John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): JFK is acknowledged to be the easiest to reach of all New York City airports for most people in the city. Many people believe that this airport is located in Brooklyn but it's really found in southern Queens. JFK is an especially good location for your arrival if you have a final destination in Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Fort Greene, or another location within the borough. John F. Kennedy International Airport is located 15.7 miles from Times square.

LaGuardia Airport (LGA): LGA is located in northern Queens. This airport can be an especially good choice for arrival if your final destination is in Astoria, Long Island City, Williamsburg, or Manhattan's East Side. LaGuardia Airport (LGA) is situated 11 miles from Time Square.

Inconveniences and Delays:




John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): JFK is known for having extremely long immigration lines. It might take hours for you to get through customs.

LaGuardia Airport (LGA): LaGuardia Airport is frequently ranked as the United States' worst airport for flight delays and cancellations.

Airport Design:




John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): John F. Kennedy (JFK) is widely acknowledged to have the best level of comfort and design of the three New York City airports.

LaGuardia Airport (LGA): LaGuardia's design is definitely not one of its strong points. It is quite cramped and old-fashioned. However, major renovations have recently begun.

Picking up rental cars:




John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): Picking up a rental car at JFK is quite easy. All of the airport's car rental facilities are found at the Federal Circle. This is a major traffic circle that merges with the Van Wyck Expressway (this is also called the Instate 678). This is a wonderfully convenient spot, as it means it will be easy to drive out of the car rental facilities and quickly reach other parts of New York City. You will need to take the AirTrain service to Station C in order to reach Federal Circle.



La Guardia Airport (LGA): If you are going to pick up a rental car at La Guardia Airport, be aware that you'll need to go to the rental car centre. In order to do this, you'll have to take the Rental Shuttle. The pickup for this shuttle is found just outside the terminal. You'll be taken to your chosen rental car agency. Some of these can be as far as 15 minutes away from the airport. There tends to be inadequate security around some of the rental car parking lots, especially at night. This is something you'll want to keep in mind.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.904s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.4695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb