Rome, Day 3


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City
May 26th 2006
Published: May 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The view from the HotelThe view from the HotelThe view from the Hotel

Thank you Rome Calivieri
Today we got up, checked out of the Village Roma, and headed for our first hotel. Heather’s parents (who I cannot thank enough) were nice enough to help us get some hotels while we are here to ease the stress of doing all hostels. As great as its been to be in hostels, hotels are more relaxing and safe, which makes seeing the sites a lot simpler. After today we are back in hostels for the next 7 days.

I cannot believe we are 11 days into our trip. We are in our 7th city, 6th country, 4th language, and the money is so dwindling. Its hard to take it all in, and realize where we are, what we’re doing, and what we’re seeing.

We took the metro up to the Vatican stop, and decided to walk the rest of the way to the hotel. We knew it was a small hike, but the 90 degree heat and 40 pound backpacks wouldn’t help. We hiked through some woods, bushes, and some steps through the middle of a wooded area, then down the road for about a mile, and finally reached our destination: the Roma Calivieri Hotel. We were hot and tired, but we realized how awesome it was that we are probably the first people ever to hike to a real 5-star hotel. We checked in quickly, and got up to our room.

This hotel is beyond words. It is the Vatican of hotels. Our room is ridiculously nice, with 2 beds and the most amazing views of the city ever. We are on the top of a hill overlooking the city and the Vatican. Ill try to get a photo from our balcony so you can be ultra jealous. My person favorites of the room were the heated towel racks, the Calivieri robe, and bathroom the size of most of our hostels. After basking in the glory of our room, getting the first good shower in 12 days, and relaxing for a while, we headed downtown to get some food since food at the hotel is expensive. We walked around for a few hours and enjoyed more official Italian pizza before heading back for a relaxing night.

Heather and I may be splitting paths tomorrow as she heads off to visit some friends, and I meet with my Canadian friend Kassandra to head to Venice. Heather is going to rendezvous with us in Bern, Switzerland. It has been awesome together, but it will be good for both of us to be with other people for a few days and we will realize how good we have it together. We are gonna get up early to go to the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel and then head to the train station to get tickets for my train to Florence. I am going to meet up with Dan and Julie at 2:30 like we originally planned, then head to Florence on Sunday to meet Kass. I will see the remaining sites tomorrow afternoon before heading to Hostel Andrew next to the train station tomorrow night.


And finally, I plan on using the phone to call home tonight. It will officially be almost two weeks since I’ve used a phone, a personal record. I would just like to mark this moment so that those of you who make fun of me for being on the phone 24/7 can see I don’t HAVE to be. Hope the US is good and I’ll update in Venice hopefully. Ciao.
(that is Italian for “don’t be jealous”)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb