Sunday with the Pope


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City
October 28th 2005
Published: October 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I know its been awhile since ive posted, but its been a lot slower lately. We did however attend a papal mass on Sunday. It was such an amazing experience. We were so close to the pope. It was the canonization of a bunch of guys, so it was super crowded. We were surrounded by Chileans who kept screaming "chi, chi, chi...le, le, le...viva chile" It was great. It was a very exciting mass. We woke up before dawn to go, actually got to st. peters around 7:30 and there was already a huge line waiting to get it. I felt like we walked forever before getting to the end of the line. It was so great, I watched this really short, old lady almost get in a fight with another lady when they were trying to cut. Then when they opened the gate, everyone rushed in to get a seat. We actually ended up with amazing seats right in the middle, not too far back. I really enjoyed the service. This was probably one of the best experiences so far in rome. It was so great that this happened while we were here, and luckily james melnick was here studying to become a priest, so he gave us the hookup with the tickets and such. It turned out to be a really pretty day too. I was afraid it was going to rain, but just sunshine. Monday was lauras birthday. We had chinese that night. I love that chinese restaurant, probably some of the best chinese i have ever had and its so cheap. Then we had some amazing chocolate rum cake that sarah bought and some wine. Then we went out for drinks. We were supposed to be going to venice this weekend, but we couldnt get everything booked in time, so we pushed it back a couple of weeks. A lot of people are traveling this weekend, but im taking it easy. We might go to orvieto just as a little day trip sometime this weekend. We have monday off because its all saints day. Thats why a lot of people are traveling. Well, thats about it for now. Nothing too exciting, just enjoying my down time in rome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

soon to be saintssoon to be saints
soon to be saints

well, now they are
proud chileansproud chileans
proud chileans

this guy led them in their cheers
the popethe pope
the pope

the one with the gold hat
swiss guardsswiss guards
swiss guards

man, they make me laugh
pope from windowpope from window
pope from window

he gives a prayer at noon from his window
delicious rum cakedelicious rum cake
delicious rum cake

we used a match as a candle
the remainsthe remains
the remains

or lack there of


29th October 2005

Very neat! I liked the line about the old ladies getting into a fight...don't mess with one's need to see the Pope. Tell Laura HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Or should I say Buon Compleanno!

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb