Big News (for us)


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City » Vatican City
May 3rd 2005
Published: May 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Recipe for Big Change of Plans





Hey there kiddleywinks. Guess what? We've made a MONUMENTAL descision, which probably is monumental for no one but us, but just play along.

We've pretty much scrapped our plans for seeing the rest of Western Europe, and have decided to travel in the exact opposite direction. We're goin' to the land of goulash, gypsies and headscarves. Having had such an incredible time in Turkey, we decided to take the advice of our travel companions and further explore the East. Next stop: Croatia! Wish us luck and things.

Anyway, having said that, I must expound the beauty of Italy a bit. It seems the romance of rail travel has not been completely lost on me; our ride into Rome from the East coast was stunning. Italy looks just like we had imagined it: green hills, olive groves, blue skies, the works. We've been in Rome for a couple of days now, and have basically pulled a London (ie. we did a lot very, very quickly. Atypical of our trip thusfar). Yesterday we spent most of our time in The Vatican (frustratingly missing Mr. New Pope), seeing the Vatican museums and Sistine Chapel, which contained a mind-boggling assortment of big names. I'm usually pretty easily impressed by art celebrity, but the sheer volume of recognizable peices in this museum was remarkable in itself. Plus, you know, they're beautiful and moving. But mostly FAMOUS! (kidding).

Anyway, today we basically hit every single imaginable monument, square and fountain -- by foot, no less! I won't bore you with the details, but I'll just say that Rome is a beautiful city. The fab factor is off the scales.

Since it really hasn't been too long since Pia last updated, I'm going to wrap this one up quickly with a few key points: 1)Italians are charming 2)The food is fantastic, and 3)Our first day here, Pia ate pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My hero 😊

Take care of yourselves for me,

Liz

PS -- Pia threatens to halt blog production if we don't see some more comments from all you cyber-shy readers. To those of you who leave us messages, Grazie! We like you the best.

Advertisement



4th May 2005

Ahhhh, the breakfast Pope!!!
Too bad you missed the soon to be patron saint of good breakfasts... Pope (eggs) Benedict XIV! Sounds like at least Pia has the good breakfast thing going! Have fun. Your posts keep me enthralled and I am vicariously travelling the world through your adventures! Brian p.s. Liz - I have a job!!! I'm an archaeologist again! Yipee!
10th May 2005

Hey girls, Soo happy to hear you're enjoying Italy - what's not to enjoy? Hope u took lots of photos - such a beautiful country. Glad to hear of your momentous decision. Hope you continue to have lots of fun. MOM - MOM, Calgary

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb