Shetland Island


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
August 21st 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 60.1327, -1.28875

We didn't board the Kirkwall-Lerwick ferry until nearly midnight, and we drove off at 7:30am. The cabin was snug but many passengers spent the night on chairs and lounges so our beds were appreciated.

We spent much of the day driving around the northern parts of Shetland. The weather was overcast and quite windy in the morning but it brightened up in the afternoon. No rain, so that's a plus.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

MV Hjaltland, Cabin 225MV Hjaltland, Cabin 225
MV Hjaltland, Cabin 225

With a small ensuite, so all you need just for sleeping.
Windward B&B, ScallowayWindward B&B, Scalloway
Windward B&B, Scalloway

Our hosts Beth and Ian are very hospitable. They built their home 35 years ago in a super position. Now their B&B accommodates usually two extra couples.
Digging peatDigging peat
Digging peat

Driving around you see these trenches from time to time, usually with a stockpile of bagged peat ready for collection.
PeatPeat
Peat

Both types from the same trench. Very light to lift and with no strong odour. Beth explained that peat was sometimes still used for heating, but the drying process is complicated - stacking, turning, restacking. In all the peat is handled 15 times before it makes it to the fire and most people can't be bothered any more. A fun thing to do with children, she said.
Bits and Bobs...Bits and Bobs...
Bits and Bobs...

Disappointed we've only seen one Sheltland Sheepdog, and that was in the back of a car. Lots of sheep in paddocks and wandering beside the many secondary, one-lane roads. Not too many crofters now but the term is still used and the Crofters Act 1886 still regulates the (mainly sheep) farming activity. The islanders won a legal battle to keep royalties from the oil and gas industry and consequently their public works are doing quite well. The large Sullom Voe Oil Terminal is in the north of the island and there is a cruise ship anchored in Scalloway for workers accommodation.
The Eshaness CoastThe Eshaness Coast
The Eshaness Coast

In the far north-west of Shetland. A very popular walking area.
The Clickiman Broch at LerwickThe Clickiman Broch at Lerwick
The Clickiman Broch at Lerwick

Another 2,000+ year-old defensive village.
Clickiman againClickiman again
Clickiman again

This Broch was multi-storied, with double thickness walls (a defining feature of a Broch). An impressive structure.
Colourful housesColourful houses
Colourful houses

On the Lerwick-Scalloway road. They contrast with the mainly grey stone housing in Orkney. Many of these are kit homes imported from Scandinavia.


21st August 2015

Good photos. Keep them coming. You've seen more of Scotland than this ex-pat

Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb