Gatwick, going forward, looking back


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
April 20th 2017
Published: April 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

First of all, my thanks to anyone who took the trouble to read this. Thanks!!!

So

Was it worth the money?

Hell, yes. Some things more than others. Rather than a top ten, here instead is a breakdown of our experiences based crassly on cash expenditure for thrill received.

Absolutely Worth Every Penny and Then Some

Our apartment in Nice. Life-changing views, beautifully clean and comfortable, a brilliant choice if I do say so myself. Every sunny minute in it was remarkable.

Entry and re-entry to the Chagall museum. Like the apartment, come to think of it: life-changing views. Life, love and loss by paint on canvas. Stunning.

Having Kelly come to stay with us.

The Nice GREETERS tour. Free, of course, so hard to factor that in. Comprehensive and done with such kindness towards visitors.

Marian's food tour of Nice. Along with history and culture, we found out enough about local produce, specialized takeout places ("traiteurs" - get the pun out of your system now, okay? it signifies only a shop which specialises in take out food.) to let us eat well at home when we wanted to.

Worth Every Penny

Uber, apparently, from what we saw when Kelly could use it. Yet, while we were in Nice, Uber was banned from operating anywhere in Italy. A trip from terminal 2 in Nice, 2 km further than terminal 1 from our apartment, to our apartment was 9-11 euros. A trip to Terminal 1 from our apartment by Nice taxi? 36 euros. Let's here it for real competition!!

Provençal rose at 12.40 euros for a box of 5 litres. Goes with everything. Drink it straight or with ice "piscine" for a cooler.

Ibuprofen for sore feet.

The Roman bath museum at Cimiez. And, on the same ticket, the Matisse museum next door. I preferred the Roman ruins. What a gorgeous place to walk around outside on a sunny spring day.

The 98 Nice airport bus. 12 euros to our front door. Can be crowded but we go to sit down on our arrival.

Luncheon specials at PastryPlaisirs. 12 euros - a great price for really good food.

Cod and Aioli at Chez Loulou our first night in Nice. One of my all time favourites in Fronk's nearly empty restaurant. Unfortunately, the second dinner was
Dessert at PastryPlaisirsDessert at PastryPlaisirsDessert at PastryPlaisirs

I can't eat it but I can admire it. And you can have it and a glass of excellent house wine with your lunch for an extra 5 euros!!!
not as good.

The Terra Amata museum. Evidence of human occupation going back 400,000 years moves me deeply. Not much else there, really, but what do you do for an encore?

Socca!

Being able to support a place which was recently ravaged by the attack of some criminal hiding behind "political" motivation. Paris in November, Nice in April: Susan and Tim's Counterterrorist Tourism Tour!

Disappointments

Regrets, I've had a few . . ."

But NOT too few to mention. Some things need to be told about. Like:

Getting that sick feeling in the Musee des Beaux Arts looking at a large collection of anti-Semitic paintings.

The much touted Nice public transit system. It's cheap and efficient, also hot, crowded, and lacking in seats. Most of the time, I'd rather walk. The trains were better but even they had their cattle car moments.

Breakfast on my birthday. A full English featuring fried everything - that was too dry and tasteless to eat. Not easy to do that.

Having my Word program decide to shut itself down and then thumbing its nose at me while I tried to regain access.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Russian Cathedral!!!!The Russian Cathedral!!!!
The Russian Cathedral!!!!

Also free!! Also wonderful!!!
I like Roman ruinsI like Roman ruins
I like Roman ruins

Please note the pun.
Susan, the Song of Songs, and ChagallSusan, the Song of Songs, and Chagall
Susan, the Song of Songs, and Chagall

No further explanation needed.
Young niece and Old NiceYoung niece and Old Nice
Young niece and Old Nice

Sorry. That one just slipped out.


Tot: 0.32s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb