Oxford on Day 29!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
July 28th 2012
Published: July 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yes, we've made it...arrived in Oxford yesterday Friday 27th, after staying over in Abingdon for two nights.

Highlights of Abingdon visit:


• Phoebe and Helen joining us for day
• Captain's big fish haul
• First Mate losing filling and looking forward to expensive dental work on return
• Unpleasant company shoreside


Difficult to find mooring when we arrived on Wednesday eve - only spot was on the town side of the river in the Abbey Meadow Park, next to outdoor swimming pool. If you overlooked the litter scattered around (should have given us a clue), it seemed an OK place. However, when morning arrived so did the hoards, some with rather unsavoury language and numerous cans of lager. Later we moved across to the quieter side.

The sun was blisteringly hot but as evening approached the temperature cooled and Sarah, Mike, Ben and James joined us for an impromptu party (with some unsavoury language and cans of lager, no, only joking!). Captain Pugwash caught some whoppers. We all accumulated more bites.

Onward on Friday morn, stopping first at Abingdon Lock for domestics, then up through some more beautiful Oxfordshire countryside to our final destination of Oxford. We're just below Folly Bridge, opposite Christchurch Meadows at the Head of the River. Weather was more bearable yesterday, and our mooring is under trees so much more comfortable. Spent quiet afternoon fishing, reading, dozing, then into Oxford for supper and evening stroll. Tried to find somewhere showing the Opening Ceremony but no luck.

This morning (Sat) looks wonderful... sun rising across the water, still early so peaceful... deciding whether to stay for another day or start making our way back downstream. Seems unbelievable that PM has been our home for 4 weeks now and that our trip is nearing the end. Hermitage seems a distant blurr and yet strangely we've never been that far away.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.687s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0899s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb