Eye-a, awright?!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales
June 9th 2006
Published: July 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, what a drama it was getting out of Nice... The day started out well enough. We got up on time, had our last breakfast in France down in the dining room, then checked out of our last continental hotel.

We just missed the airport bus as we got to the station, so we had to wait a little while for the next one. As it turns out, our wait for the bus was nothing compared to the wait at the airport. When we arrived, there was a big queue at the check-in desks and while we waited the line didn't get very much shorter. In the end we worked out that the computer systems that run the airport announcement boards and check-in systems were out of action.

As time passed by the queue got longer and the time to departure shorter. All the passengers were being check-in by manual process, which meant all hand written boarding passes and extremly slow check in. This was extremely painful, but in the end it saved us from having to pay excess baggage because the computer system didn't register our baggage anyway! We cleared check-in and Customs and headed to the departure lounge, only to find tha our plane hadn't even arrived in France and our flight was going to be delayed.

We passed the time reading magazines and reminiscing about France, then got talking to a nice English gentleman named Derrick. Eventually our plane arrived and we boarded. Luckily the flight was pretty empty so we were up and away reasonably quickly, even with the delay getting an air traffic controller assigned to our flight!

As we looped over the sea then back inland over France, we got a good look down at the French Riveira and Monaco in particular. The view over the English Channel was very clear too and from so high up the distance between Europe and the UK really is not much at all, even if the attitudes of the people is!

We landed in Bristol after about an hour flight and cleared Customs in no time at all. It was strange to be in an English speaking country again and we found ourselves continually saying Merci to all the people!

As we headed out we were greeted by Alan and Berris, who were to be our tour guides and Landlord's for the next week. We were very greatful to see some familiar, friendly faces, though a large sign with our names on them would've been more appropriate!

It took an hour or so to get to Brynmawr and along the way we passed some very nice countryside and some especially likely looking trout and salmon rivers. As we passed through the town, there was a distinct lack of ticker-tape and banners, but we were informed that there were security concerns regarding e large crowds expected so the festivities were cancelled at the last minute.

Alan and Berris have a lovely little house, with a garage that is just big enough to hold the Land Rover! The house was completely spotless and our room was very nice. The only thing that scared us were the stairs. There was only 13 of them, but they were steep!!

Our first Welsh dinner was at Steven and Tia's place, which was our first hot home cooked meal since Flower's place, and to actually have other people to talk to in English (which was important for the participation of all involved in this trip) was nice too... Even if they speak funny English here, but more of that later...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb