The weather strikes again!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Gwynedd » Porthmadog
September 23rd 2017
Published: September 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Having decided yesterday that today was the day to go up Mt Snowdon, we breakfasted early and set out. When we got to the station to collect our tickets, we were advised that the train would only be able to go as far as Rocky Valley station, about 5/8 of the way to the summit, because there were 65mile per hour winds at the summit. We were also advised that we would not be able to leave the train as the wind was too strong. We were given the option to cancel, but we decided that we would like to go as far up the mountain as we could. The train was ready to leave on time, and the little steam engine, with a rack took us up the mountain. The first part of the journey was through forest area, with a fast running stream and waterfalls next to the track. As we went higher u the mountain, the vegetat grew sparser. There were sheep in the grass land around the train track, and many of them were huddling down in the long grass to get out of the wind. It took about 30minutes to get to the Rocky Valley station. There were just went down again. The train had pushed the carriage up the hill, and now it was pulling it down. Although we didnt get to the summit, we passed many walkers making their way up. When we reached Llanberis again, we had a cup of coffee and worked out what to do next. We decided to go to Carnarvonfor lunch and to see the castle. This was yet another of Edward I castles. It was here his son was born, and also where the Princes of Wales are invested. Prince Charles was the most recent in 1969. The castle was the biggest we had seen so far. It had a palace for Edward I inside the castle, and again many levels of defence. After lunch we decided to go to Beaumaris, on the island of Anglesey. We parked the car and had a walk along the seafront. Some yachts were racing along the Menai Strait, and the lifeboat was also in the water. The town was quite busy, with people walking and shopping. The weather was now bright and as we walked, the sun came out and it was very pleasant. We returned to Porthmadog for a rest before heading out to dinner at the Square Restaurant, where we had dinner on Thursday evening. Again a delicious dinner- Peter had nussels and pork belly and I had Halumi cheese and Lamb shank. With luck we will continue to,find small restaurants with great food as we continue our trip. Tomorrow we move on to Solva, in Pembrokeshire. A longish trip, so an early ,morning again tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb