Cardiff


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Cardiff
July 10th 2017
Published: July 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today caught the train to Cardiff Bay. We walked to Mermaid Quay which is part of Cardiff Bay for a coffee. It was graduation day at the local university so we watched the graduates and their parents. The women not used to heels and dads in suits that only come out for weddings and funerals.

We then went for a little bit of a walk to check out the Quay, stopped at The Mount Stuart pub where we met up with Paul and Jules for lunch.After lunch went for a walk around Cardiff Bay.

Some things I learnt today:

1. The site where the Dr Who Experience is has been sold and they want to pull it down to build flats. Whovarians everywhere need to protest about this.

2. There is a Wales Coast Path 1400km long from the Welsh border in the north near Chester to Chepstow in the south and by including Offa's Dyke you can walk all around Wales.

3. The reclamation at Cardiff Bay Barrage between 1994 and 1999 has transformed the area from tidal mud flats to a beautiful freshwater bay.

4. Captain Robert Falcon Scott sailed from Cardiff harbour on the 10 June 1910 on his ill fated Antarctic polar excursion.

5. Dram is the Welsh word for tram and was a cart used in mining and carried about 1.5 ton of coal, explosives or pit props.

6. The beach at Penarth is pebbles.

Met up with Paul who took us out to Cosmeton Lakes which is a water lands conservation area. It has wetlands, lots of birdlife and is a lovely place to wander around looking at.

Out for dinner then back to relax and gossip. A good day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb