Waterford to Cardiff and South Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Cardiff
July 5th 2011
Published: July 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Waterford to Cardiff and South Wales



A 6am start had us travelling to Rosslare where we caught the ferry back from Ireland to Fishguard in Wales.
Almost an hour from Cardiff we made a detour into a small country village where we visited a local carpenter who specialised in creating Welsh Love Spoons! The carving of wooden spoons as love tokens dates back to the 17th century, and a spoon can be carved to contain symbols to convey meaning such as love, marriage and good fortune. This gave an altogether new light on ‘spooning’.
We had dinner at The Blue Anchor – a cute thatched inn built in 1380, that has seen some hard times including the smugglers of the famine period and in more recent times a devastating fire that burnt much of the thatched roof. While enjoying our Welsh country dinner, what better than to listen to a fantastic Welsh harpist – Amanda Whiting, a lovely young bird all the guys had their eyes fixated on all night. She even let us have a go of playing her harp – all 44 strings!
After a good nights rest, we explored the capital city of Wales – Cardiff. It was amazing to see Cardiff Castle in the middle of the city, refurbished lavishly with vast amounts of gold leaf and ornate furnishings throughout.
We visited the home of the largest and smallest Welsh spoons, then hit the road towards the Brecon Beacons National Park. Along our way back we drove into the Rhondda- most famous for its coal mining valley, stopping at a small museum along the way.
Finally it was back to our accommodation for the night where we shared our final dinner with the tour group before we head towards London tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



7th July 2011
Sheree and the Welsh Harp

Hi from Deniliquin
Hi Lachie and Sheree, you look terrific on the Harp Sheree,its a shame, you could'nt bring that home with you.Great to get the travelblogs they are terrific. Everyone is well at home, Rhonda and Colin at the rock last night and it was raining, so no climbing yesterday. Take Care Lots of Love Nana xxxx

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb