Bath & Cardiff—England, Wales, and England again!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Cardiff
September 27th 2018
Published: September 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Chester, England


AIS at 7:54! Beautiful morning, albeit a cool one at 44 degrees but forecast to be in the low 70’s. We were out of Devon and heading towards Cardiff about 40 minutes into our drive this morning. We were in and out of fog drIrving across the moors, which was sort of “Hound of the Baskervilles” feeling! Lovely country with rolling hills, fields of sheep, and neat hedgerows.

We had a great stop in Bath (thought about you Angela!”)! Our first stop was the Roman Baths which were fascinating. This was a nice long stop so we had plenty of time to look at the Baths and then walk around. We had Sally Lund Cream Tea at Sally Lund Tea Room. Delicious.

Below is a note about Bath from Wikipedia:

”Bath is a town set in the rolling countryside of southwest England, known for its natural hot springs and 18th-century Georgian architecture. Honey-coloured Bath stone has been used extensively in the town’s architecture, including at Bath Abbey, noted for its fan-vaulting, tower and large stained-glass windows. The museum at the site of the original Roman-era Baths includes The Great Bath, statues and a temple.”

On our way to Cardiff we crossed the longest bridge in Britain (3 miles long) with second highest tide in the world. Up to 55 feet on our way to Cardiff. The tide was out so you could have walked across the river. Several hours later there could be up to 50 feet water there! Below is description from Wikipedia:

“Cardiff is a port city on the south coast of Wales, where the River Taff meets the Severn Estuary. It was proclaimed the nation’s capital in 1955. The revitalized waterfront at Cardiff Bay includes the Wales Millennium Centre, home of the national opera, orchestra, theater and dance companies, plus shops at Mermaid Quay. Architect Richard Rogers’ strikingly modern Senedd building houses the Welsh National Assembly.”

This evening we will have a tour of Cardiff Castle and then a Welsh Banquet. I think I will go ahead and post now before we have our evening out. I will post any pictures taken after this post tomorrow with Friday’s post.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



27th September 2018

So pretty!
Don't you think the colors in Bath Spa are gorgeous? All that warm stone. To me it's such a pretty city. Sounds like you are having a great time despite AIS at o-dark-thirty. And great weather for the most part, too! England is truly lovely in the fall.
27th September 2018

Wow Great Pictures
This was another great day for you both. Loved all the pictures England is a very interesting country and you are going to see some great architecture for sure. I am leaving tomorrow for Arkansas to visit Michelle at school. I might not be able to post for a couple days but plan on following your blog. Then we have out of town guests from Chicago so I will be watching you both and looking at all the interesting pictures. Safe Travels.
28th September 2018
Government building in Cardiff

Bath Abbey
Another beautiful day! I love Bath Abbey. A little disappointed that you didn’t post any pictures of the fog driving across the moors. [US news: Ashton had an open house tonight, and one of the mom’s asked her if she was a first year teacher ;) ]
28th September 2018
Government building in Cardiff

Fog on moors,,.
It was beautiful, but the best shots of the fog was from the front of the bus because of the hedgerows. We aren’t allowed to stand up while the bus is in motion so I couldn’t get a good angle on it. I was disappointed because of not getting a picture of it too.
28th September 2018

Bath, Anyone?
I remember that I found those Roman baths very interesting when we visited. The idea of all those old fat Roman guys sitting around together, almost naked, no doubt, was rather yucky to me! Keep enjoying and being the first AIS!
8th October 2018

Just missed you...!
On this very day, we drove through Cardiff on our way home from visiting my father-in-law (who was born in Plymouth, Devon and who now lives in Swansea, Wales). I don't recall seeing a CIE coach though!

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb