Ride Across Britain Day 8 Proper Scotish Rain


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
February 14th 2016
Published: February 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We were back to the normal start time this morning and we were out of the start gate just after 7:00, the road started flat and we made good progress as we passed the Commando Memorial. However this was not to last: Andy the course director had another 5 mile 10% plus climb in store for us, and as we climbed the weather deteriorated and the wind picked up. We were greeted at the top by the cow bell brigade again trying desperately to hold onto the flags and not be blown over. As we descended towards Loch Ness the crosswind was brutal and people were being blown off the road.

The ride past Loch Ness on General Wade’s Military Road was lovely, but as the day went on the weather slowly deteriorated from light mist into rain. The middle leg was a long flat section, which was turned into an ordeal by the weather. Once we got to Dingwall the roads kicked up again before the descent into Bonar Bridge.

By the time we got to base camp I was freezing cold. I had been looking forward to seeing Meg at this camp all week but I was so cold I had to disappear off and get into dry clothes as I was shivering so much I could hardly talk. Luckily I had followed the advice of one of the chaperones on the training ride and taken a travel washing line and pegs so I was able to string this up and create a space to dry my kit in the drying tent.

The briefing that evening was a special affair, awards were handed out including a kitchen sink for the guy with the heaviest bag and we given some stats on the logistics of the event including the fact that we had eaten 12,200 bananas by the end of day eight. I departed to bed that night ticking the box that it was the last night camping but also a little sad as it was all coming to an end. Total mileage 111.8, 6,078 feet of climbing, 8:02:27 riding time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb