Cairngorm to Coast '15


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
May 23rd 2015
Published: June 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Daddy's big challenge this year turned out to be bigger than anyone expected!

To travel from the Cairngorm mountain near Aviemore, to Lossiemouth, in one day. Billed as 33 miles walking to Ballindalloch Castle, then change onto bikes to cycle the remaining 33 miles home.

The kids and I stayed over in Aviemore the night before (in the campervan, on our own, quite an adventure)! That way we could meet everyone at the start at 9am the next day. We were fully branded up as Team Windswept - hats, t-shirts, banner! No way anyone would doubt who we were cheering on! It was a perfect day to set off, clear skies, 15 degrees, little wind, showing off Highland scenery at its most beautiful. Somewhat unfairly, the first section of the walk was the hour or so to the top of the mountain from the car park, but from there it was all downhill (mostly).

We waved them off then drove onto checkpoint 2 to head them off, ambling along a lovely woodland path in the sunshine, kids on bikes, butterflies flitting, just lovely. Suddenly Daddy & N appeared, charging along the path, a blistering 25minutes ahead of their closest competitor, so fast even the marshall wasn't yet in place. (Blistering, did I really write that? How ironic!) We jumped out in front of them long enough for a quick pic and a murray mint and then they brushed us off and powered on through.

Next point was 20miles in, and they were still in the lead, fuelled by several kilos of home baking at a recent pitstop. By then it was becoming evident that the route may not have been properly reccied, checkpoints were in unexpected places, meaning they'd had to double back which had increased the time, but spirits were still high and they planned to make the castle by about 7.30pm.

We pootled about a bit then drove on to the castle to join the support team, and wait for the walkers to come in and switch onto the bikes. By about 6pm it started to drizzle. The kids were on fine form, there was a great play park, they had their bikes and had made some pals, so they weren't bothered at all. I had lots of nice people to chat to, all the tea I could drink and plenty of cake too. The news from the trail wasn't good though. Estimates were dragging out longer, a couple of people had dropped out. Blisters were being patched up. Routes were getting muddled. Daddy was in a lot of pain from an old knee injury.

Two walkers got in around 9. By 9.30pm a minibus was dispatched to sweep up the rest of the group. Daddy & N were determined to walk in. They were the next back, just after 10pm and only one other made it, about 10.30. By then it was dark, and very wet. The bike route home went up through forest tracks over a sizeable hill, and with Daddy's knee seized it would not have been wise to continue, so thankfully they took the right decision and bowed out. The first two did go on to complete the course, getting home at 2am.

N's GPS showed that they had in fact walked a whopping 38.5 miles! Yes, really! In 13 hours! Busted his knee but pushed on. He's nails, my man! We're so proud of him. Thanks to everyone that sponsored them.

The official event report is here.

Dozens more pics of the whole event here.

A short video shot mostly by drone,
&feature=youtu.be">here.

(If you watch the film, at the very end you see an aerial shot of Ballindalloch Castle, there is a tiny spec of red by the cars, bottom left, next to a tiny spec if a bike - that's J!)

Can't wait till next year....


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Waiting by the waysideWaiting by the wayside
Waiting by the wayside
Taking us by surprise at mile 4Taking us by surprise at mile 4
Taking us by surprise at mile 4
Mile 20 - Hang on, hang on, wait for it....Mile 20 - Hang on, hang on, wait for it....
Mile 20 - Hang on, hang on, wait for it....
Ta-dah!Ta-dah!
Ta-dah!
Red squirrel at BallindallochRed squirrel at Ballindalloch
Red squirrel at Ballindalloch
Getting inGetting in
Getting in
Relief!Relief!
Relief!


Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb