Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
August 2nd 2010
Published: August 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

scotlandscotlandscotland

edinburgh castle was impressive

I am getting very lazy with these blogs and often short of time so this is a group email that brendan has sent out and i have gone to the big effort of doing teh old cut and paste with it.

scotland....

just a wee update from our week in scotland.

caught the train down sunday night (from leeds to edinburgh) staying at caledonian backpackers in a 20 person dorm which had its moments, 1st night had a good snorer and last night was 'turn the light on and wake everyone up' night which was quite popular.

monday did the 3 hour walking tour which was pretty good, really nice city, very different with the big castle like the apple that the babies arm (aka the royal mile) is holding. few good stories about the differrent buildings and history etc. Monday night met up with Kathy's mate Kate who was down from st andrews for the night with her scottish boyfriend Liam, went out for dinner and a few beers with them at at a couple of the trendy places (after a good half hour searching around)

Tuesday caught the bus to st andrews and
scotlandscotlandscotland

lunch in front of the park. (the park was 2 pounds to get in, dreaming)
met up with kate at her place again after a bit of lunch out the front of the botanical gardens (the £2 to get in seemed a bit steep) and the grass out the front was just as impressive. Tuesday evening had a few bevies and went to Liam's restaurant (he's a chef at a restaurant overlooking the 18th hole of the old course) for a free feed and a few photo's before the sun went down on the 18th hole, after dinner went out for a few more beers for one of kate's friends going away party.

Wednesday got up early and went to the Torrance golf course at the fairmont hotel where Kate works and played a cheeky 18 (kate lasted about 8 holes walking around but managed to con stace into walking the course with me, couldn't quite get her to carry the bag but she was a more than capable ball finder (even though most of them weren't mine) and scorer (even offered to cheat on more than one occasion). quality course, very windy with very tight fairways and the rough is very thick so my wayward drives often took a few minutes to find.
scotlandscotlandscotland

18th hole in st andrews
Had already agreed to pay £20 plus whatever the clubs were worth but one of kate's friends from the going away the night before was working in the proshop and didn't charge me a cracker. Good times.

After the golf we went and saw the Cathedral ruins, castle and golf museum in st andrews but i was a bit knackered so not sure if my observation that they were 'pretty boring' was a little unfair, the cathedral ruins were probably the pick of the bunch.

wednesday evening caught the bus back to edinburgh and went out for some haggis - its actually pretty good - heard an american say it tasted a bit like meatloaf which is probably as close to anything i could come up with.

Thursday jumped on a day trip with haggis tours up through the highlands to loch ness, probably the first time we've missed having a good camera but we'll see how the one's from my shitty camera turn out.

got one more night in edinburgh here tonight then 7 hour bus back to leeds tomorrow. last game of cricket with otley on saturday and i think they're having a bit
scoltandscoltandscoltand

catching up with friends
of a shindig saturday night for us. - after beating the top 2 teams in successive weeks we lost to one of the bottom teams last week (although we got 2 points (you get 6 for a win) for not going all out and getting 75% of the score) so apparently they think thats ok. last 3 weeks made 27 not out, 6 not out and 16 not out batting down the order so hopefully back up the top for a last hurrah saturday). Haven't been required with the ball of late.


monday heading to prague for the beginning of our big trip, got nearly everything booked..


stay beautiful



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

scotlandscotland
scotland

all excited for a hit
scotlandscotland
scotland

one of many times inthe rough searching for balls.
scotlandscotland
scotland

and again
scotlandscotland
scotland

golf museum woohoo
scotlandscotland
scotland

Kates place in St Andrews
scotlandscotland
scotland

Hamish the famous cow
scotlandscotland
scotland

Hamish the famous cow
scotlandscotland
scotland

on the way to loch ness
scotlandscotland
scotland

loch ness
scotlandscotland
scotland

risked my life for this one, took 4 goes
scotlandscotland
scotland

scotland was gorgeous
scotlandscotland
scotland

scotland was gorgeous


22nd August 2010

great photos
Yes the handstand is back, you need to try a photo with you facing the camera instead of the backside! Pretty green in scotland, just like gippsland at present ,as we have had sooooooooooo much rain. Love mum
22nd August 2010

about time
What has taken so long. Have a bit disappointed with length of time between blogs. The golf course looked very nice. Stace I take it by the look on your face you where not real happy with good old Hamish the cow.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb