Elgin and the Aberlour Distillery


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
July 24th 2010
Published: July 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Crathes CastlesCrathes CastlesCrathes Castles

Rainy day, on our way to Elgin !!

On To Elgin


7/21/2010

A travel day from Banchory to Elgin. We did stop at Crathes Castle, just outside Banchory, as we had not yet had our castle fix. The land was deeded to the Burnette clan by Robert the Bruce, circa 1300. The ivory horn hangs over the mantel that was given to the family by said Bruce. The castle was given to the National Trust in 1950, including all the artifacts! The wood work was spectacular, as well as all the furniture. So success! Onward toward Banchory, a very rainy day. Jerry is navigating the round a bouts like a native and driving on the other side of the road doesn't seem to bother him,too much. We arrived in Elgin and were greeted by Ann and Richard of The Croft B & B.

7/22/2010

We were served a lovely breakfast by Ann ( the sausages are to die for!) and met a couple of folks from Australia. Off we went to Aberlour Distillary. A lot more modernized than Locnnagar, stainless steel,etc. A very nice tour and tasting (at 10 am!) We chose to hand fill a bottle, in which Barb had a great time. Then we toured the countryside(beautiful) reminds one of going through James Harriot's novels. Visited a couple more distillaries (one was started by a woman!) Barb got to pet some Highland cows. We stopped by the cashmere factory and enhanced the tax base and off to dinner at the local pub.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb