Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
September 9th 2009
Published: September 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well hello Scotland the main purpose of the revised itinerary to Scotland was to catch up with some friends who we met on travels and also some from Perth. Firstly we headed to Edinburgh for the fringe festival with comic acts ,plays and street performers its runs from 7-31 August and also is famous for the military tattoo. Vix a friend i met in Cambodia had kindly organised some accommodation at the hostel she is staying at right opposite the castle, a really great hostel big common rooms etc. We only had 4 days including our arrival day.

Jo set out early to get some Tattoo tickets as there were none available onine we got some for that nights performance which i will come to. Edinburgh is a beautiful city with a valley running through the middle and raised old buildings either side, its green and the people are friendly despite the many thousands of tourists that have arrived in the city. We met up with a guy called Andreas who lives in the city for a beer or two before the Tattoo he was in Seville Spain the same time we were and have kept in touch he is a really relaxed guy with a good outlook on life.

It is great to meet people and then catch up with them later on especially this time as i got to birds with one stone. So the military Tattoo to be honest i had scene it on Tv and wasn’t really fused either way it was something Jo really wanted to do but it was awesome. There were bands bagpipes and marching bands from Scotland and around the world, manic drummers and awesome projections onto the Castle, it was highly entertaining and the Scottish weather held out.

The next day we went for a walk up to Arthurs seat the highest point in Edinbugh a nice 1 hrs climb upwards offering great views of the city and was good to get a bit of exercise. In the afternoon we caught a play a 4 piece skit about coping with the end of the world was very funny. After was a chill out before going to see Adam Hills and Jason Bryne do a comedy act Vix came with us after a long day at work it was hilarious as i thought it would be. Another late night as it was a midnight showing.

The last day Vix had the day off so she spent it with us roaming around drinking coffee and just generally hanging out. It was fun even though the weather was miserable. That night Will Anderson was playing his nightly show we had a few drinks before hand big mistake. I had scene him before and knew that he hassled the shit out of people leaving for toilet breaks and hecklers so when we got in there i felt okay but the seal was well and truly broken, don’t get me wrong he was very very funny but the pain in my bladder and kidneys by the end was almost unbearable i have never needed a piss that badly in my life instant relief came when the show finished.

The following day we picked up the hire car from the airport to drive to Aberdeen primarily to see our friends from Perth Arian and Jodie. We stayed at Jodies parent place about 20 minutes drive out of the city in a lovely area surrounded by green trees. That night was a get together for Jodie with her friends big night that turned out to be geees those scots can drink i had liver poisoning and new friends by the end and a nice hangover the next day. The Scots are very welcoming people no further examples provided when Jodie and Arian went to a wedding the next day leaving us to meet her parents without them oh pre that is was great to see my mate dressed up in a kilt with all the trimmings for the wedding. Anyway Jodies parents arrived and couldn’t have been more hospitable if they tried i was amazed they just said help yourself and we didn’t even know them.

We spent one day driving out to the highlands past Balmoral castle waving at the queen and through to this nice little town and gorge it was so pretty with all the heather on the hills i just want to go back one day and explore further. So our time in wee Scotland had come to end and with great sadness we had to leave it was one of the better decisions we have made to revise the itinery and go.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb