Update - no photos


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
August 27th 2008
Published: August 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Really just a diary entry. Window delivery arranged for Tuesday 26th, so continued with stuffing and trimming, continual use of hedge trimmers seems to have given me tennis elbow or something similar. Sometimes I think my body will give up the ghost before we get this thing finished, I seem to be continually knackered.
Anyway after my last brief return home it was back to Tombreck. Wendy's parents arrrived on the Monday evening they were up for a few days with a couple of friends (Brom and Hilary). Unfortunately by the time they returned on the Tuesday I had been struck down by the bug that swept Tombreck. Tuesday was a strange day I managed about an hour's work before returning to bed only to surface periodically during the day to wander wraith like round the yard before once more succumbing to the bug and returning to bed.
Carrie phoned at some point in the afternoon to say she was dropping in on her way to the next Woofing place. I managed to get up in the evening in time for her arrival.
Carrie's return was, naturally, an excuse for another small social gathering and Tombreck turned out to welcome her back.

The rest of the week went slowly I seemed to take forever to throw of the effects of the bug.

Friday picked up Wendy who had a week off and having stocked up with provisions returned to Tombreck.

Gavin and Niome turned up Friday night to offer assistance, Sue's son, Ben, and Miki also dropped in so somehow ot other it turned into another social soiree in our house. Hamish turned up to help out (some people are gluttons for punishment (it was his 4th volunteer weekend with us - he came last year too to help with the cart shed.

Saturday started bright and sunny so we actually managed to get the tarpaulins off the house and see it in its full glory but, as ever, it clouded over and tarps were hastely repositioned. Ben took out a couple of protruding bales with his chainsaw and promised to come back and do some sculpting round interior of the windows once the lime was on.

Saturday afternoon Dean, our lime expert, turned up and we agreed that he'd start on Monday 1st Sept. He stayed for a few hours talking about this and that - building, stars, life, lime --the usual things.

Saturday evening we (Franck, Hamish, Wendy and I) had dinner in the Octagon and after a couple of glasses of wine retired for an early night ie before midnight.
Sunday up early, as ever, and continued preparations for lime (ie more stuffing and trimming) before Hamish departed homewards.

Monday - Ewan and I started the rib lath (attaches to the exposed wood as key for lime) and tried to arrange delivery of lime etc only to find it was bank holiday south of border.

Monday evening being Franck's last night - yet another soiree (sophisticated word for piss up). Steve turned up with 4 of his workmen (all Poles) so it descended into usual fun evening. (number who have slept in our house now nearing double figures).

Tuesday - continued with riblath till windows arrived (lunchtime). First of windows went in and we eventually managed an early night (10.35).

To be continued - photos to follow



Advertisement



Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb