Finally an update.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
August 14th 2007
Published: August 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So it seems we've got some catching up to do. Travelblog was down for a while so we couldn't update, and then we just never really had the chance. But alas! here on the banks of Loch Ness, with fighter jets buzzing the tree tops, we have found time to let everyone know what's been going down in Scotland. So without further adoo, here's a quick run down of what has happened thus far.

July 30th.
Arrive in London, so does all our luggage (I know, it's crazy!). Got to our hotel, had the standard fish and chips with a beer dinner, went to bed.

July 31st
To give you an idea how crazy this day was, we took a bus, a train, a taxi, then 2 more trains and another taxi. The first taxi was between victoria station and King's Cross in London during rushhour, which was originally supposed to be the tube. After a kind lady informed us that the tube would be suicide during rushhour and that it's hard enough to get your body on the train, let alone two hulking boxes with bikes in them. So we opted for the taxi, which turned out to be more of a guided tour of London by a surprisingly well-mannered gent with plenty of tattoos. We made it to Glasgow a tad late, but Kevin and Brendan were kind enough to wait for us. Brendan escorted us back to their house, had some pizza and more beer, then things get a little fuzzy.

August 1st
We had originally planned to head off on our journey today, but I gather the previous night's shenanigans put a stop to that plan in a hurry. But anyways, slept until noonish and nursed a headache until mid-afternoon. ps. today Eric re-discovers the flake bar, my god, it's delicious!!!!

August 2nd
Thank the McKenna's for their wonderful hospitality and set off on our way bright and early, through Glasgow, in rushhour, on bicycles, yikes. An hour in, not even really out of Glasgow, and we are already lost, not a good sign. Some lovely little old ladies got us back on track, bought a better map along the way, have yet to be seriously lost since. Made our way up to Loch Lomond, stopped in at a campsite near Drymen, slept like a baby.

August 3rd
Stopped in for a traditional scottish breakfast at a little coffee shop in Drymen run by a lady who's sister-in-law happens to live in White Rock about 10 blocks away from Melissa's grand-mama, small world. We set off with a hearty meal in our stomachs. Along the way I realized Melissa's rear brake rotor had been bent in transit, most likely during the flight, since despite clear "fragile" markings, the bike boxes looked like they'd been used as pinatas. We found a bike shop a little out of the way and for the price of a new bicycle we got a new brake rotor. From there we wound our way up to Callander where we spent a night in an awesome hostel with all the coffee i could drink any time of day and breakfast was included.

It's taken me longer than I'd expected to write this much. So I'll leave you with that for now and try to update some more shortly. We've met countless wonderful people, except the bloke who stole my bike helmet, but i didn't actually meet him, so he doesn't count. Anyways, stay tuned. ciao.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb