Linlithgow Castle - The Birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
March 3rd 2021
Published: March 4th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com3rd March - Linlithgow Castle - The Birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots



The majestic royal palace of the Stewarts at Linlithgow lies roofless and ruined but today we were able to virtually learn more about this historic building.

It was begun by James I in 1424, rising like a phoenix from the flames following a fire that devastated its predecessor. It became a truly elegant ‘pleasure palace’, and a welcome stopping-place for the royal family along the busy road linking Edinburgh Castle and Stirling Castle.



The Stewart queens especially liked its tranquility and fresh air. The ancient palace served as the royal nursery for James V (born 1512), Mary Queen of Scots (born 1542) and Princess Elizabeth (born 1596), better known as ‘the Winter Queen’. But after 1603, when James VI moved the royal court to London following his coronation as James I of England, the palace fell quickly into decline. The end came in January 1746, when a fire swept through the ghostly rooms.



Anne our guide gave an absorbing insight into the life of Mary Queen of Scots.



Mary’s father was King James V of
Scotland and her mother was Mary of Guise. They had two sons but both died in infancy within hours of each other in 1541, before Mary was born.

After defeat at the Battle of Solway Moss in November 1542, James returned to Falkland Palace in Fife and went to bed with a high fever. On 8 December, a message came from Linlithgow Palace that his wife had given birth to a daughter instead of the hoped-for son. James believed that the Stuart dynasty was at an end – he feared that a woman could not rule his nation.

King James V died six days later and baby Mary became Queen of Scotland.



Both Protestant England and Catholic France wanted Mary to marry a royal from their country in order to gain control over Scotland. Mary’s great-uncle, Henry VIII, arranged for Mary to marry his son Edward, hoping that this would unite Scotland and England. However, many Scots opposed this treaty and broke the agreement. Henry was furious and sent his army to attack Scotland. The ‘courtship’ became known as the ‘Rough Wooing’.

French troops helped the Scots to fight the English and it was
agreed that Mary would marry the Dauphin (the eldest son of the French king). Mary left for France when she was 6 years old.



Mary ascended to the Scottish throne upon the death of her father, King James V. Her mother sent her to be raised in the French court, and in 1558 she married the French dauphin, who became King Francis II of France in 1559 but died the following year. After Francis’ death, Mary returned to Scotland to assume her designated role as the country’s monarch.



There was so much information to absorb through the next years but I do remember thatMary was put on trial for high treason and found guilty on 15 October 1586.

On 8 February 1587 Mary was beheaded. She was dressed in black with a white veil, and carried a crucifix and writing book. Mary was led to the scaffold and prayers were read. Mary removed her dress to reveal a red petticoat – recognised as the colour of martyrdom.

Her son, King James VI of Scotland, calmly accepted his mother’s execution, and upon Queen Elizabeth’s death in 1603 he became king of England, Scotland
and Ireland.



So a bit of a history lesson today and an enjoyable one at that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement




Tot: 0.647s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 14; qc: 40; dbt: 0.1471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb