sabbatical 2019 - St Cuthbert's Way


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
August 1st 2019
Published: August 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

We started hiking St. Cuthbert's Way today out of Melrose. We started at Melrose Abbey, one of the finest preserved Abbey ruins in Great Britain. What a shame that "in the name of God", so many of these magnificent edifices were destroyed or terribly damaged during the Reformation, when the reformers were against idolatry in the Church. So change your theology and use the building for a new purpose - don't destroy all the incredible craftsmanship that went into these buildings! It's very saddening and disheartening about the sinful nature of man to see such careless destruction. And it helps me understand why some people do not think much of the Church or organized religion.

St. Cuthbert started his ministry in Melrose around 650 A.D., helping to establish a very strong and flourishing Abbey there. Apparently he "found great solace and true refreshment in walking". We started our pilgrimage with that quote and set off for 8 miles of walking including over a short mountain, about 800 ft. Rose, our 3 and 3/4 yr old, led the way at the beginning and probably trekked 2 miles of the walk. We were all very impressed! The trail included a wonderful variety of landscapes from mountain tops to open fields and creekside walks. We took turns carrying Rose and her 6 month old sister. On top of the mountain we passed construction workers working on the trail, including the use of a helicopter picking up and laying down huge bags of rocks! We arrived at the next hotel at 5, a good time to put our feet up and have dinner together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb