HIGHLAND FLING - DAY 2


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » The Highlands
May 1st 2013
Published: May 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a wonderful breakfast buffet we head our in our coach to explore Scotland. The days weather changed from sunshine to showers to heavy rain to sunshine, or, as Alistair told us, all seasons in one day. There was new snow at the tops of the higher mountains or bens as they are knows here.



The sun appeared at Lock Lomand so the pictures had a wonderful combination of grey skies with blue patches. It is a lovely setting and not without it's strangeness. On an island in the lake there is a colony of wallaby who are probably yearning for their warm Australian home.



We drove into the village of Luss and wandered around in the drizzle, observed the mating ritual of the Mallard. Poor Daffy was targeted by a dozen Donalds who all wanted to mate. Finally, she was so exhausted I interrupted the orgy and let her escape. It's a wonder that I wasn't dive bombed.



From Luss we drove to Inveraray for tea and scones and a tour of the Castle of the Duke of Argyll (Inveraray Castle). Visits are limited to a few public rooms as it is still the home of the present Duke and he often acts the tour guide. Most people would not recognize him.



While ornate and beautifully appointed, it is a surprisingly livable space and the grounds are beautiful. One room held drums for the major Scots regiments. Another, photographs and memorabilia of the family. Along the walls are portraits of the dukes and duchesses through the centuries. The enormous kitchen was in use until the 1950s and includes a fireplace large enough to roast a pig on a spit. In the corner was a highboy chest with drawers for dry goods, almonds, clay sugar, spices and a large drawer for vermicelli. Vermicelli?



After the tour we headed to Oban where we spent the night. Along the way we stopped at a church from the 1800's. It was small compared to the cathedrals we usually tour and fairly plain but it sat on a ridge overlook Lock Awe, a perfect spot. Sometime in it's past it had central heating installed and the radiators were placed alongside the ornate ironwork and carved stone of the original structure.



I should mention that the daffodils are in full bloom, covering hillsides and peeking out from the woods as we drive by. The hillsides are dotted with sheep and the little lambs are so very very cute. We passed some highland cattle. They look like miniature mastodons with very long shaggy ginger colored hair.



We checked into the hotel and took a walk along the water and explored some of the town of Oban before we enjoyed dinner. This is a jumping off place for the Isle of Mull, another popular tourist destination. There is a ferry that runs frequently and while we ate dinner we could watch the ferry and other boats on the bay.



Laura had done her research and selected the EE-USK and what a choice it was. Joe had haddock, Ken and Laura ate salmon three ways and I savored the best sea bass I have ever had. Baked brie started the meal and we finished with a taster plate of lemon cheese cake, creme brulle, chocolate ice cream, kiwi slices and a "chocolate shot". The shot is hard to describe but think chocolate infused with chocolate and mixed with chocolate and hardened to the consistency of fudge. Incredible.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb