Edinburgh to Torridon


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » The Highlands
July 8th 2007
Published: July 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We ferried over from Belfast (Ireland) to Straener (sp???, Scotland) and then bussed it over to Edinburgh. We decided to spend a few days actually exploring a city since most of the cities we've been in thus far have been for rest, internet, laundry, etc. We did the touristy thing by visiting the most visited castle, Edinburgh Castle. So many people! It was nice to get some historical background to this country, but of course we enjoyed our hikes in the park more than the big tourist trap. We loved Arthur's Seat, the highest point in Holyrood Park which starts at the end of the Royal Mile (from Edingurgh Castle to the Holyrood Palace). The Palace is where the Queen would stay when she's in town & she actually was while we were there, so we weren't allowed to tour it. We didn't get to see the Queen at all while she was there, but that woulda been cool.

We also loved the Royal Botanic Garden. So many exotic flowers & beatiful gardens with plants & trees from all over the world. It was a nice day even though it was drizzling some of the time (surprise, surprise!). On our last day in Edinburgh, we went on a ghost tour where they took us underground to the old underground chambers that the dreggs of society lived in, in the 17th century. I think I felt a ghost tickle my ankle while we were down in the chambers... Then he moved over to Ashley & tickled her ankle. Freaky!!! They also told us about all the gruesome torturous acts that people put criminals & accused witches through. Such as yanking your fingernails out & pressing hot iron rods onto the exposed nailbed. So not cool! :P

After Edinburgh, we made our way North up to Ullapool, in the Highlands. So beautiful! The mountains here are much bigger than in Ireland. It feels so much more vast & they have a crazy number of lakes & waterfalls scattered throughout the area. We were in the Lake Assynt area & went on a hike up Stac Pollaidh (pronounced Stack Poly). It was the hardest hike we've done so far, straight up & then straight down. It was really cloudy & rainy that day, so we didn't get to see a lot, but it was still nice. We also visited a couple of beaches & at Achmelvich Beach we encountered a bird that kept flying above our heads. Ashley didn't really notice it until I said, hey look, I think that bird really likes us! At which point Ashley said, I don't think it likes us, I think it's trying to keep us away from it's nest. The bird then proceeded to dive bomb Ashley's head, hahahaha!

We then made our way South to Torridon. The whole drive along Loch Maree to Kinlochewe to Torridon though the Glen Torridon pass is ABSOLUTELY beautiful. So many different looking mountains & of course lakes galore. We went on a couple of really nice walks in this area. Yesterday was an amazing one on the Coulin Estate right outside the Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve. It has amazing views of Loch Coulin, Loch Clair & Beinn Eighe (our favorite mountian in this area).

We are now on our way farther South to the Isle of Skye... Later! 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



10th July 2007

Rockstars!
You two rock. Great stories. Keep it up Laura...with the help of your assistant Ash. The bird attacking Ash made me laugh out loud! The story of the torture chambers made me squeal. Horrible. I cant imagine having my fingernails pulled out! Simply just to torture me. My oh my.I cant wait to see some pictures. Stay safe. xox
18th July 2007

Coach Carolyn just asked me how you are doing, so I've read your blog and can now report back :) Love the pics, and am thoroughly thrilled that you are having the adventure of a lifetime! Stay safe and have fun!!!

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb