Winter in Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » The Highlands » Rannoch Moor
February 24th 2016
Published: February 26th 2016
Edit Blog Post

You can't beat winter in Scotland on a rare but amazing sunny day...



Just thought i'd upload some photos of a recent trip to Glencoe ski resort. Great fresh powder down to the base and a lovely drive to and from Edinburgh. For anyone visiting Scotland I can recommend the drive past Rannoch Moor up to Glencoe, and then if you've time (and you should if you're on holiday) keep on going North as far as you can!



For those skiing or snowboarding in Scotland, Glencoe is one of the best places. When conditions are good you can get close to 2500ft of vertical (800m) skiable in one long run. The resort used to be more for intermediate and advanced, having excellent steep terrain especially on the East flank of the mountain (Flypaper, East Ridge, Spring Run, Rannoch Glades and Rock Garden), with the more cruisey Main Basin in the centre, then Etive Glades on the west side (spectacular views of Buacchaille Etive Mor on your descent). There are lots of interesting natural features too. There's a new beginners lift now and that means that theres a more snow-sure run for beginners so would also make a good choice. If you're prepared to hike there are further off-piste descents possible (the West flank also has a great snow field at close to 40 degrees, but be warned there was a huge avalanche there a couple of years back that killed an experienced skier). And there are way less crowds than Cairngorms and Glenshee and a more friendly local vibe.



Photos from around Rannoch Moor, and near Bridge of Orchy, and at Glencoe Mountain Resort


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.496s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 27; qc: 118; dbt: 0.197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb