Stirling Castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Stirlingshire » Stirling
July 1st 2012
Published: July 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

HeaviesHeaviesHeavies

These big men in kilts throw around some very heavy objects....
After some much needed sleep, and a run (in the rain) to get rid of the jetlag, we headed out for our daily adventure. Actually, today was supposed to be the Highland Game Fair, but due to extensive rain over the past few weeks, they were forced to cancel as conditions were poor at the grounds. So, I went back to my files and found a great backup plan. We decided to visit Stirling Castle which came highly recommended from several sources and did not disappoint!

There were 4 main castle buildings and we started off with a guided tour. This was a good choice as Charlie, our guide, gave lots of history of the castle, including its many transitions between ownership by the Scottish, then the English, then the Scottish, etc. This was the site of many battles and where Mary Queen of Scots was crowned, where her son James VI of Scotland became the first King of Britain, James I. Earlier there were battles fought there by Robert the Bruce (Nigel's ancestor), Bonnie Prince Charlie, and William Wallace, to name a few.

After the tour, we headed to the castle vaults where there were all sorts of
PipesPipesPipes

St. Andrews Pipe Band
interactive activities for the kids, like trying on clothing and playing medieval instruments. We also checked out the castle kitchens which were very cool.

After seeing all the castle had to offer, we headed over to view the Wallace Monument. Another historic icon. Wallace is the one that the Braveheart movie is based on.

The driving today was very scenic especially once we got off the M8 (the larger highway). The only rain we ended up getting was during our run...figures. Now, it is time to eat some Scotch pies and haggis for dinner and sit and watch Spain play Italy. Ahhhh, another great day.

Oh yeah, Scottish words of the day: sommit (this actually means "something" as in sommit to eat), Mondee (the first day of the week), deeya (do you) and ehhhhmmmmmm (this is a way to pause between thoughts).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Caber tossCaber toss
Caber toss

Yes, they pick up a telephone pole (basically) and throw it!
Stirling Castle defenceStirling Castle defence
Stirling Castle defence

Kids sitting atop a cannon on the tower of Stirling Castle.
Wallace MonumentWallace Monument
Wallace Monument

View of the Wallace Monument from the Stirling Castle


1st July 2012

Great choice
Sounds like your alternate plan worked out well...good luck with the weather .....a little rain won't hurt in a run but not fun to sit out in.............all the best...... love Mom
2nd July 2012

Sure looks like your squeezing a lot into each day and having fun doing it. Good for you guys. Dad
4th July 2012

Wonderful pics.love the pic of the princess and squire. You look cold in come of the pics, having a heat wave here! Enjoy your holiday, all is well here at home. Ken also says hello.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb