Waaaaay up north


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » The Highlands
July 2nd 2012
Published: July 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Gaelic GlmnopqrtsGaelic GlmnopqrtsGaelic Glmnopqrts

Signs in the Highlands are all bi-lingual. English and Gaelic.
After another run in a light drizzle, we packed up and head north.....way north. We started off on a main highway and soon went off onto a smaller one where the views were spectacular. The kids could hardly peel their eyes away from the views to play their DS's (ha ha). Well, Nigel and I enjoyed the views. It got especially gorgeous once we hit the highlands. We passed many lochs (one funny one called Loch Lochy) including driving alongside Loch Ness for about an hour altogether - it is one LOOOOOONG lake. No sign of Nessie although Rachel did keep her eyes peeled. Halfway along Loch Ness was a lovely castle called Urquhart Castle. It had not been maintained nor restored but was the shell of the former castle. It was right on Loch Ness which was an attractive location. Like Stirling Castle, it was built for defence and wars, but this Castle finished as more as an entertaining castle built for parties and vacationing. The last occupants of the castle bombed it themselves just so that the English could not have it for themselves. Sad.

Then on to Inverness which we just really passed through today since it
View of Urquhart from aboveView of Urquhart from aboveView of Urquhart from above

Remains of the Urquhart Castle.
was rush hour. Made it to the Dornoch Castle which is quite incredible. We have a family suite on the top floor which has 2 rooms on either side of a spa bathroom. Luxurious! We ate out at a neighbouring pub (we ate steak and guiness pie - Lori, Gammon steak - Nigel, and some sticky toffee pudding for dessert for Lori. Kids ate fish and chips with a massive ice cream sundae for dessert!! We toured this small town on foot and checked out the huge Dornoch Cathedral which is right across the road from our Castle.

Now back at the castle for some quick blogging and then enjoy this life of luxury. We'll eat breakfast here at the castle and then on to the Isle of Skye tomorrow. Again, the only rain we had today was during our run! But it sure is cool up north!!

Scottish words learned today: Urquhart (pronounced Erkhert), lots of Gaelic on the signage - no possible way I can remember any of it....

Funny quotes by Rachel..."When does it EVER get sunny here?"

Also by Rachel, "AGAIN! Oh yeah, I just thought there was nobody driving that car....I
Nice spot for a castle!Nice spot for a castle!Nice spot for a castle!

Too bad it's in ruins....
keep thinking no-one is driving these cars since the drivers side is empty!"

Also, don't forget to scroll all the way to the bottom of each blog entry as it often puts some of the photos at the end after all the advertising!! If you haven't been doing this, you can go back and look at prior day's blogs to see all the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

We've got a piper doon!We've got a piper doon!
We've got a piper doon!

Live piping at the castle. Brought a great ambience to the scene.
Bridge across the Moray FirthBridge across the Moray Firth
Bridge across the Moray Firth

Yup, we drove across this one!


2nd July 2012

Enjoying Your Blogs !
Hi Sweet People...............we are enjoying your daily blogs / comments and pics and are tracking all your destinations in Google Earth with Street Views in every instance so far..............a good shot of your place at 11 Whitelea Cres. in Balerno.............I hope that Rachie gets to experience a little sun and warm weather during your stay !

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb