The low road past Loch Lomond to Falkirk


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Stirlingshire » Falkirk
September 22nd 2011
Published: September 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The weather in Scotland has been a constant talking point among guests at breakfast each morning during our Scottish adventure. One thing is guaranteed, you cannot guarantee what sort of weather you will have on any one day. Today was no different. As we prepared for breakfast there was quite steady rain. By the end of breakfast blue patches were appearing. As we drove through The Trossachs on our way to Stirling and Falkirk the sun was out and the day was warming up. There have been very few days when it has rained all day.
We had an enjoyable stay at the B & B in Crianlarich with a very welcoming host. It was a pleasure to enjoy fresh eggs from the hens that wander the grounds of the guest house. As city dwellers we don’t always appreciate the trials and tribulations of living in a rural setting. We heard stories of foxes and stoats hunting the hens in broad daylight and the need to be ever vigilant.
About seven years ago we had our first glimpse of Loch Lomond on a cold damp late December day. Our latest glimpse was very similar except we were on the opposite side of the loch and it wasn’t as cold. Driving along the western shore we caught glimpses of Loch Lomond in a variety of lights and moods as the sun and rain were forever changing places. On one particular part of the road we rounded a corner only to be confronted by a motor cyclist recovering his bike and possessions after having come to grief on the slippery road. It appeared the rider may have slid into the front of an on-coming truck. Fortunately the motor cyclist seemed to be unhurt.
While having lunch at the Scottish Wool Centre in Aberfoyle we witnessed a demonstration in an enclosed grass area outside of a sheep dog controlling a flock of ducks around a maze of obstacles. The dog seemed to be enjoying the opportunity of racing around the small paddock, the farmer was enjoying the warm sunshine, but we are not sure about the ducks. We have a feeling they thought they were being exploited. After a short drive along the shore of Loch Ard to enjoy a moment of reminiscing we headed for Falkirk and our final destination for today.
We have already visited Stirling castle on a previous visit but seeing it today in bright sun it still looked quite grim sitting high on the edge of a rocky cliff face. The drive this afternoon was a pleasant change from the tight narrow roads we have experienced over the past ten days. Even seeing lush green pastures made a change from the bracken, heather and rock.
Tonight is our last night in Scotland before we head back across the border to England. Before we leave we have one last visit to make, The Falkirk Wheel, another marvellous Scottish invention.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb