Scotland trip begins!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
October 3rd 2006
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Cannon TimeCannon TimeCannon Time

Me with one of the canons at the very top of the castle.
Geo: 55.9044, -2.94718

So finally, our trip around Scotland got under way! Basically my second uncle (i think it is), Joe, and I set off around 8am by car, from Durham to Scotland. Our major destination, Edinburgh. The drive itself took probably around about 3 hours, and we arrived in Edinburgh around lunchtime. We parked the car, grabbed a pint of local Scottish beer, and set off on foot around the town. Walked down the main street to the Castle of Edinburgh. It cost £10.50 to get in, but it really was worth every penny. Got audio guides, and walked around listening to the rich and dramatic history of the castle. There were spectacular views from the top, over the whole of the city. Other highlights were the Scotish crown jewels, inside the keep at the top.
After picking up a light lunch we headed back towards the car. Took in a few other small random sights around the city, including walking past Arthurs Seat, and going into the newly multi million pound government building, recently built. Next we would drive north as far as possible towards Inverness (near Loch Ness).


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

EdinburghEdinburgh
Edinburgh

Just a shot of the scenery of Edinburgh. We were here round about 3 hours i think.
Edinburgh CastleEdinburgh Castle
Edinburgh Castle

A shot from the front of Edinburgh castle. This castle was really impressive, and towers over the city. you can only imagine how difficult it would have been to seige, back in the day..
Fireplace KrisFireplace Kris
Fireplace Kris

Me in front of the fireplace inside one of the Royal rooms in the Scottish castle at Edinburgh
Government chamber EdinburghGovernment chamber Edinburgh
Government chamber Edinburgh

This is the inside of the recently constructed house of Government in Edinburgh. Its budget was set at around 5m£ but ended up costing in excess of 50m£. Designed by a Portuguese, it was completed about 5 years ago.
Kris HouseKris House
Kris House

This is me in the streets of Edinburgh having a Scotch pie in front of John Knox's house. John Knox was a husband of Mary Queen of Scots.
Kris Portcullis GateKris Portcullis Gate
Kris Portcullis Gate

Me standing just in the front of the Portcullis Gate inside the Edinburgh Castle
Me on Edinburgh castleMe on Edinburgh castle
Me on Edinburgh castle

Me obscuring the fantastic views of Edinburgh castle.
Me on Edinburgh CastleMe on Edinburgh Castle
Me on Edinburgh Castle

A shot of me, taken on top of Edinburgh castle on the keep.
Scottish Crown ClaymoreScottish Crown Claymore
Scottish Crown Claymore

A replica of one of the Crown Jewels of Scotland I got to see inside the Castle. This massive claymore was handed over by the papacy some hundreds of years ago.
Streets of EdinburghStreets of Edinburgh
Streets of Edinburgh

Another rather random shot of the streets of Edinburgh.
The KeepThe Keep
The Keep

A shot of the keep of Edinburgh castle.
The One O'Clock GunThe One O'Clock Gun
The One O'Clock Gun

A scotsmen gets geared up, to fire the traditional one oclock gun at Edinburgh castle. Apparently this was initially used so as seamen could set the time.
View over EdinburghView over Edinburgh
View over Edinburgh

A fantastic view of Edinburgh from on top of the castle.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb