Scotland Road Trip


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
May 25th 2013
Published: June 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 55.9503, -3.18761

We were packed and on the road around 8am bound for Scotland in Maureens little mini. Our first port of call, Edinburgh. It was a somewhat pretty, but largely uneventful two and a half hour drive from Durham to Edinburgh. Its a nice city, old buildings, cobblestone roads, a relaxed feel and castle towering over the city. That was to be our primary destination for the day.First though, lunch, at the Worlds End pub. Named so as its location is at the end of the main road (the Royal Mile), was by the city gates, and as far as Edinburghs residents knew at the time, marked the end of the world. My choice of food, Balmoral Chicken, chicken breast stuffed with Haggis, a Scotish 'delicacy'. Delicious. From here Nat and I marched up the Royal Mile (named so as it runs from castle down to royal residence Balmoral) to Edinburgh Castle. An amazing structure, we explored its various levels, great views, dungeons, great hall, chapel and museums. The highlight was the crown jewels. Sword, sceptre and crown, from the last Scottish King James VI of Scotland and I of England. A king who inherited both thrones and united the two nations in the early 1600s. From the castle, we wandered back into the streets of Edinburgh to meet Joe and Maureen before getting back in the car, bound for Pitlochry.We arrived at Pitlochry around 6.15, an hour and a half north of Edinburgh. Here we were to stay the night at a three star lodge called Fishers Inn. Dinner was a medditeranian tapas with a red wine and arguably the best meal of our trip so far. We walked off dinner for a walk to the nearby Pitlochry dam and Salmon Steps.That was our day. We couldnt have wished for nicer weather. Edinburgh was excellent, and tomorrow should be even better. We head further north to Inverness, the lochs and highlands.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Walking to dinnerWalking to dinner
Walking to dinner

In pitlochry


Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb