Kilts and Celts


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
September 26th 2006
Published: September 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We have arrived in the land of William Wallace, haggis, and tartans.

After a nine-hour bus ride, Adam and I trekked our way across Edinbugh to the Castle Rock hostel-just across the street from the Edinburgh Castle. We were lucky enough to have the highest building in the city as our landmarker. At night, Edinburgh looks spectacular-purple and white lights illuminate century-old buildings. What a stark contrast from the cosmopolitain, modern London! After we checked in, we decided to dine at a local pub, where we were fortunate enough to coincide with a local musician who played Scottish tunes. He even busted out his bagpipe for us.

Today we awoke and hiked Arthurs Seat-the highest point in Edinburgh. Our only recommendation was from an AC chum, "Its a big f*&%in mountain". We conquered it in less than three hours, chatted with an elderly Scotsman at the top, and feasted on sandwiches halfway down to avoid the severe winds.

Since you asked...We have been uncannily lucky with the weather thus far. When we asked how today's weather compared to others this time of year, the Scotsman responded, "Yer lucky..gettin pretty late in the season...gorgeous day". Thank you, global warming.

After tramping through "Old Edinburgh" (the part of the city that is old) we wandered into the public library, where I am furiously typing away on a public terminal so we wont have to pay for internet!!! How brilliant I am!

Much more to see today...and we have signed up for a tour of Scotland beginning Thursday. Sure takes the stress out of planning. More to come with pictures when I get a real library card...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



26th September 2006

Scottland
Ok, I definitely want to see photos of Scottland! What is the best thing you have eaten so far in Europe??
26th September 2006

Glad to hear all is well...
Scotland sounds wonderful. Was just drafting a letter to the Whitehorns thanking them for their hospitality. Glad you have found a mountain to climb in Edinburgh. John sent a long long email yesterday. He's good, working hard on Wilderness First Responder (WFR) training, working in the classroom all day and preparing for a big test at the end of the week. Then he's in the field for a month!! Awfully glad weather is good. Very smart of you handling england and Scotland now. Sarah misses you very much and remembers both you and Adam in her prayers every single night. Take care and know that we love you.
29th September 2006

Cornish meat pies...
Ach, the beautiful homeland. Tell her hi for me. Takes me back to Scottish festivals past... I'm proud of you for taking on this adventure, and I'm looking forward to reading about your travels on the blog. Make sure and eat a meat pie for me, and tell bonnie old England I'll see it later. Also, don't know how much time for reading you have, but I just finished "The Once and Future King" by T.H. White. Definitely a cool book to check out about England in the Middle Ages, all about King Arthur and such but told with a different slant on it that's both funny and thought-provoking. Hope the traveling's going well. We'll say a prayer for you both.
3rd November 2006

Good
it is a wonderful place 2 be

Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb