10 years old or 135 cm tall


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
August 5th 2014
Published: August 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day two of the Scotland Adventure started with a slow climb to the Castle. We decided to start the day off visiting the Castle. The Castle sits on top of volcanic rock and protected by cliffs on three sides. It's one of the highest points and easily the most identifiable monument of Edinburgh. The Castle presents fabulous views of the City below, houses the crown jewels and showcases the Mons Meg canon which launched 500 pounds of cannonballs back in the day. The Scots and the English battled for control of the castle during the Wars of Independence until finally in 1314 it was recaptured by the Scots. The Castle has been home to many royals include Queen Margaret and Mary Queen of Scots, whom we found out only had a bath twice a year. In the 1600s, the castle became a military base. Some buildings were rebuilt and new ones were raised to house a huge garrison - and provide a secure jail for prisoners of war.



After exploring the castle in the morning, we had lunch at ClamShell Pizzas and Kebabs on the Royal Mile. This was where everything that was anything could be fried. Fried fish and chips, fried pizza and yes, fried mars bars. Off course, I had to try it and it didn't disappoint. The first bite just melts in your mouth. Yummy goodness.

After lunch, we went to Waverly Bridge and caught the double decker Hop On Hop Off bus. This gave us a good overview and some historical facts about the great city. It also gave us an idea of what we wanted to see next. A good option for all those new to the City. The whole tour around the City took about an hour, so it was a good rest after a morning of walking around the castle. AND enough of a rest for us to get energy for some shopping at Jenners and Primark on Princes Street.

Day two found us having dinner at Jimmy Chung's seven day buffet off of Waverly. The only comments I have are that the buffet was decent enough, staff was horrible and they charge your 10 year old a child's price, unless he's taller than 135 cm. All in all, a good day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Jimmy Chung'sJimmy Chung's
Jimmy Chung's

not recommended


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb