Back in Auld Reekie


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
January 30th 2013
Published: January 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Well I'm pleased to announce my arrival back in Edinburgh after only a year and a half. One mild difference - it's now Winter and the last time I came here with Shawn it was Summer. We've spent three nights at the Edinburgh Central Novotel, a hotel close to the heart of the capital city, situated just behind Edinburgh Castle and the Edinburgh Greens. It's about a 10 minute walk up to the Royal Mile. We were lucky enough to have Mum's penpal, Moira, and her husband, Ian, chauffeur us around in a car that we'd hired. They took us up to Aberdeen, a lovely city up north. Here, like the fool I am, I wandered in to the icy cold North Sea just to 'whet' my appetite for the water. It was quite a rough and rugged ocean, don't think I'd quite like to sail there for the fun of it. Ian also drove us up to a ski run to have a snoop around and satisfied Mum's genealogy desires by taking us to a variety of small villages where our past relatives lived / died / got married et cetera. Back in Edinburgh we visited the Royal Mile, found The Elephant Cafe where Harry Potter was brought to life by J K Rowling and spent a couple of hours searching the dungeons of Edinburgh Castle.



The next part of our journey takes us to the Isle of Skye with a company called Real Scottish Journeys. We'll be spending New Years in Portree where we get to attend a Hogmanay run by the locals.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb