A day in Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
July 11th 2012
Published: July 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

LadbrokesLadbrokesLadbrokes

Bookie - for placing bets - as the clerk said 'we would bet on 2 flies climbing the wall"
A day in Edinburgh
Slept in till 9:30 today. Went across the street from our hotel to a small pub for a small breakfast today - couldn't seem to manage the big full Scottish breakfast again today.
We then started off on our sightseeing excursion of the Royal Mile area.
Elke went in to the bookies (Ladbrokes),similar to Peter Barlows's bookies for those of you who are Coronation St. fans, and placed a 1 GBP bet on the dog races. Unfortunately her dog came in 3rd, so no winings, but an interesting new experience all the same.
Next stop was Morrison's kilt makers where we learned everything we needed to know about kilts and then some, and will be able to order a Scottish-made kilt for Don once we've paid for this trip, as they are quite expensive.
The rest of the day was spent shopping, walking and exploring historical places like the John Knox house (John Knox is the father of Presbyterianism) - the house where he died has been standing since the early 1500s. We found the burial place of John Knox and as famous and as admired as he was it is curious that he is buried in a parking lot.... curious group these Scots...
A quick stop at yet another pub in the late afternoon, and then a quick rest at the hotel before heading out for dinner at the Whiski Bar (one of our favourites) and then a 10:00 pm Terror Tour, followed by drinks at......yes, you guessed it.....yet another pub (when in Scotland). Banshee Labyrinth.
The Terror Tour is a 1.5 hour walking tour of Edinburgh that specializes in tales of horror, torture, murder and ghosts (Sammi, you would love this one, but unfortunately it is only open to adults 18 and older). The tour takes place walking through the back streets above ground and also visits areas below ground. It depicts the treatment of those who strayed from the law. Age of majority back in the 1500's was 8, meaning that anyone over 8 would be treated as an adult. Flogging, flailings, torture, hanging, etc.

Very uncomfortable feelings in the South Bridge vaults - very happy to leave.

Off to the castle with the poison garden and the south east coast tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

James MossmanJames Mossman
James Mossman

He was the goldsmith for Mary Queen of Scots and owned the house now known as the John Knox house.
Archibald CampbellArchibald Campbell
Archibald Campbell

Buried in St. Giles Cathedral. 1661 a distant relative... maybe.....
David HumeDavid Hume
David Hume

rubbing the toe for good luck. David Hume - Scotland's greatest philosopher
South Bridge VaultsSouth Bridge Vaults
South Bridge Vaults

corridor running between vaults that were reopened in the late 1970's after being sealed for over 100 years.


12th July 2012

good stuff
Great pics. What were the vaults used for ???? How much for the kilt, in C$ ????
12th July 2012
James Mossman

Which fly won?
Hilarious about the bookie taking any kind of bet. That John Knox house is old but looks to be in mint condition. Stuff sure lasts here!
12th July 2012
James Mossman

Fly
Fly number 4 won - had to look very very close to see the number... House actually owned by James Mossman the Queens goldsmith - fascinating story but yes very well preserved.

Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb