Back to Real Life


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
February 15th 2006
Published: March 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dunfermline AbbeyDunfermline AbbeyDunfermline Abbey

Burial place of King Robert the Bruce of Scotland, minus his heart which is in Melrose Abbey in the Scottish Borders.
Well, after an absolutely fantastic, life-changing year travelling the globe Andrew and I are now safe and sound at home in Scotland. We have been back for just over a month now and have been really busy sorting out our lives.

It is great to be back among family and friends again, but the weather and the day-to-day life is taking a bit of getting used to.

Our big news is that Andrew proposed a couple of weeks ago and obviously I accepted straight away. So we have booked our wedding for July 2007 and are really looking forward to a big party with all our family and friends to celebrate. I am really excited and obviously can't wait to start looking for my dress but also to plan our next trip abroad for our honeymoon, Andrew's hinting at Africa so I'll let him investigate our options.........

I managed to get a job as a Speech and Language Therapist in Angus which is near Dundee, so I am looking forward to getting back to my career and to earning a wee bit of money. Andrew is busy at work already, he got the first job he applied for, and a great job at that, he's managing a Systems Development team in a Law Firm so it's a bit of a career change and all very exciting for him, with courses and meetings lined up in England and Chicago over the next few months he's on the travelling band-wagon again already, he really is the luckiest man around.

It's a new start for us and we are determined not to slip into old habits and to take on board a lot of what we have learnt about ourselves this year and apply it to every day.

So everything is settling into place just now and it’s almost like we’ve never been away, with that in mind, and before we forget, I’ll let Andrew answer some of the questions that he regularly receives via this blog…………….

Greetings to you all from the Motherland, as Fiona has explained things are turning over nicely here, I’ve added some photo’s from God’s country, they’re from Dunfermline (the toon whar my quine comes fae) and el Capital, Edinburgh, one of God’s finest creations (with the help of some old money and a forward thinking town planner). I'll add another blog for
Dunfermline AbbeyDunfermline AbbeyDunfermline Abbey

inside the Abbey Chapel.
Dundee (my home town and where we're living now) in due course, probably about 8 months from now at this rate!

I hope you enjoy the photo’s, I plan to keep updating this site for the foreseeable, we’ll have a few trips up to the Highlands during the summer, as Fiona mentioned I’ve got a work trip to the Windy City (my kinda town, Chicago is…..) and I’ve also got a boys jaunt to Ireland in May/June, I’m sure they’ll be a few stories from these trips that will make a blog or two, but let’s concentrate on (finally) finishing this trip.

The questions we always get asked are:

What was our favourite place? - I would say Japan, Fiona would say Vietnam, now we loved everywhere and I can go into great detail about the merits of every place we visited but to put a really short answer to a difficult question we chose one place.

How much did a trip like this cost? - Tickets were around £1500 each ($2600US / $3500AUS), insurance was another couple of hundred pounds each and we took £15,000 ($26,000US / $35,000AUS) with us and came back with SFA
King RobertKing RobertKing Robert

at Dunfermline Abbey.
and had another grand on our credit card.

Sounds expensive, but we never scrimped and saved, we weren’t extravagant often but we always slept in a medium to good hostel and ate well every day, we enjoyed local drinks everywhere and they had very little bearing on the money we spent. You could have done everything we done much cheaper but we liked to live in a wee bit of comfort when available, we always took a double room over dorms when available and rented cars rather than buses in Australia and New Zealand and also took some (cheap) internal flights in America, Australia and China.

Did you work your passage? - Not quite, I worked for two months and Fiona worked for three months, all in Perth, Western Australia. By doing this we managed to live off our wages in Perth and it ultimately meant that our ‘savings’ lasted us 10 months as opposed to 12.

Did you need visa’s for everywhere and are they easy to get / did you get them all before you left home? - Most places yes you need a visa but it’s different for everyone depending on what your nationality
The BruceThe BruceThe Bruce

other side of Dunfermline Abbey.
is. We never got any from home, we generally got the visa for the next country we were visiting from the country we were in at the time (if you know what I mean). This was simple for us as we always had at least a week in each country, you should look at these in great detail though as it is always pricey to get an on-the-spot visa if you’ve only got a day or two to spare.

Did you take cash and or travellers cheques for everywhere? - No, we were really lucky coming from the UK as we had access to our bank account at no charge in every country we visited, no currency conversion fee, no cash withdrawal fee, no monthly account fee and online banking made it real easy to keep up to date with our spending. Every country we visited had ATM’s in at least the capital city so as long as you withdrew enough until the next cash point all was good, you always got the best conversion rate available also.

What would you do differently if you were to set off again? - In a word, nothing, there are plenty
Abbey GraveyardAbbey GraveyardAbbey Graveyard

at Dunfermline Abbey, burial place of King Robert the Bruce of Scotland.
of things that we could have done ‘better’, staying in some places longer, shorter in others, going to fewer places in each country etc… but I’m a great believer in everything happening for a reason and I truly believe that we had the best time possible in all our destination, we haven’t regretted a single thing so why change anything? With hindsight I’m sure there are more practical and perhaps logical ways to do things but I’m sure that would have changed the whole outlook of our adventure and I wouldn’t change anything.

Are you really that handsome in real life? - Yes, Yes I am.

That covers most of the frequently asked questions (from memory) if there is anything else anyone would like to know then drop me an e-mail on the contact pages. Thanks for all your best wishes and feedback on our pages over the year, it’s hard to believe that we’ve had over 47,000 hits on our blog but I’m glad that you’ve all enjoyed it, we’ve enjoyed writing it and we especially liked reading your feedback and comments.

I hope it inspired a few of you to go and see somewhere you’d
the Auld Toon Steeplethe Auld Toon Steeplethe Auld Toon Steeple

in Dunfermline.
never planned to and gave others a chance to see places that they’ll never get to.

Until the next time, take care of yourselves, and each other.

Shaggy OUT……………………………..



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Princes Street, EdinburghPrinces Street, Edinburgh
Princes Street, Edinburgh

from the top of Calton Hill.
Edinburgh's Disgrace Edinburgh's Disgrace
Edinburgh's Disgrace

A never-finished version of the Greek Parthenon. A memorial to the Scottish soldiers and sailors who died in the Napoleonic Wars, on Calton Hill.
North-East EdinburghNorth-East Edinburgh
North-East Edinburgh

and over to the Kingdom of Fife.
the Palace of Holyroodhouse the Palace of Holyroodhouse
the Palace of Holyroodhouse

The Queen's official residence in Edinburgh, at the foot of Arthurs Seat.
Arthurs SeatArthurs Seat
Arthurs Seat

Edinburgh.
Scottish ParliamentScottish Parliament
Scottish Parliament

in Holyrood Park, Edinburgh.
Edinburgh South SkylineEdinburgh South Skyline
Edinburgh South Skyline

with the magnificent Castle in the background.
St Giles CathedralSt Giles Cathedral
St Giles Cathedral

The steeple is said to represent the Honours of Scotland (Scottish Crown Jewels).
Ramsay GardensRamsay Gardens
Ramsay Gardens

the most prestigious address in Edinburgh, at the front gates of the famous Castle.
Sirs Wallace and BruceSirs Wallace and Bruce
Sirs Wallace and Bruce

Sir William Wallace (left) and Sir Robert Bruce guard the entrance to the Castle.
The Scott MonumentThe Scott Monument
The Scott Monument

in memory of Sir Walter Scott.
Bank of ScotlandBank of Scotland
Bank of Scotland

HQ on The Mound, Edinburgh.
The Heart of MidlothianThe Heart of Midlothian
The Heart of Midlothian

on the Royal Mile, Edinburgh.


1st March 2006

all of it
I just want to thank you for sharing your wonderful adventure, especially the Pandas. I have seen places through you 2 that I never would have seen and the stories behind the pictures make it all come alive. Thank God for Blogs!! and that You for doing it! Good luck with your new life together. I dont see any problems for the 2 of you. I mean after all traveling together has killed a few marragies LOL Have a Great Life!
8th March 2006

Just a quick note to congratulate you on the news about the proposal. I hope you both have a very long and happy life together.
19th July 2006

Congratulations !
Congratulations for getting marry. I had been paying attention to your trip since you were in Japan. and I am glad to hear Andrew would chose japan for his foavorite place. I'm looking forward to reading your new travel -honeymoon-blog from Africa. Take care , bye koji japan
9th May 2007

It's been a long time since you posted anything! Is there going to be wedding pictures this summer...July, wasn't it? Sure hope so. All the very best to both of you. A reader who followed your travels!
14th November 2007

Hello! It's been a very long time since your last post! Like anonymous asked.....was there a wedding last July? Also, do you my chance have a relative in B.C. Canada by the name of Gordon (Mickie) Mudie? Saw his picture in the paper honouring old Vets for Remembrance Day. Recognized the last name right away, as I had been following your globe trotting!
5th December 2007

This fellow, is around 90 yrs old, I think and he served in WW2. Like I mentioned before, his picture was in the newspaper honouring old Vets. I just looked in the phone book and he is listed. I'm not sure if I should put anything more on here though. I can give you his address and phone number if you like and you can check if it's any relation. Oh, before I forget...Congratulations and very best wishes to both of you. I loved reading your blogs. I guess I could have sent this as a private message! If you want the address, then that's how I'll send it.
21st January 2008

Canadian Mudie....
Would be good to check it out Kathleen, if you can send me any of details I look in to it. I can't believe it's been 6 weeks since I was last checking this site, I have so many good intentions of getting it back up and running but never seem to find the time. Cheers, Andrew

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb