A little bit of quality time....


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Chang
December 10th 2005
Published: February 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

red sky at nightred sky at nightred sky at night

My delight at getting some class photo's of a Lonely Beach sunset, Koh Chang.
Can I firstly appologise for the delay in adding this blog, we've been home for over three weeks now and this page was written a month ago, we struggled to get the photo's on though so had to wait until we got back.

Fiona takes up the story from the 10th of December, there will be a final RTW blog answering all the questions that have been asked of us about this trip, I may even add some photo's of the Motherland to complete the set, I'll let Fiona take up the story, cast your mind back a month and think of us lying on the beach, warm sun beating down on us, cool beer in our hands and the gentle sound of the ocean the only noise we can hear.....................

Well after much deliberation we decided to embark on the shortish journey to Koh Chang on the Eastern South coast of Thailand. We had thought about going to Phuket, Krabi and Koh Lanta but we made a decision and stuck to it. Just as well really because after we arrived in Koh Chang we heard that there had been some pretty bad weather on that side of Thailand
The barThe barThe bar

at our digs
and in fact there had been a false Tsunami warning signal gone off in Phuket, as you can only imagine causing total panic, so I have to say I am very glad we missed that.

What we were after was some total relaxation to end the year and some sunshine before we headed back to the freezing Scottish weather.

We got just what we needed. Koh Chang is a beautiful Island and protected nature reserve. The beach we chose to stay on, Lonely Beach, is stunning. We stayed in a nice wee wooden hut on a hill overlooking the beach, it was pretty basic, just four walls and a bed in the middle but that felt pretty nice actually, the cold showers are something I will never adjust to though. Lots and lots of insects and spiders, but we just put our mossie net up and climbed into our secure little tent at night and got used to the bugs after a few days.

Our days here have been taken up by, going to the beach, applying sun cream, lying at the beach, applying more sun cream, having a dip in the crystal clear waters, lying on
My tree-swingMy tree-swingMy tree-swing

I claimed this as my own, after a week people stopped asking if they could get a shot on it.
the beach again, you get the idea don't you so I won't go on too much. We also hired some snorkeling kits and explored the reef around some nearby islands but other than that we really have been doing nothing. Well we have read lots and lots of books and I have written my CV which I see as quite an achievement after not really putting my brain to use for some time, I am amazed it still works and has not been damaged by too much sunshine or reading to many chick lit novels in nice pink covers.

There really isn't much else to say I don't think, except we are getting really excited about our return home to see all you folk, oh well there was this one time when we got invaded by ants and they nearly beat us! - You'll see from the last photo that there was plenty of them, and three sides of the hut was covered, no exageration there were millions of the critters.

We were sitting on the balcony reading our books, the usual between lying at the beach then going out at night, when a cleaner came in and
The localThe localThe local

it didn't matter how many decorations they put up it just didn't feel like the 21st of December!
pointed at this line of ants on the floor, they were about 10 deep in width and stretched for a good two meters back to the side of the hut, we hadn't even noticed them, anyway we followed the trail and about fainted when we seen the side, then the back, then the other side of our 'house', it was totally covered, millions of ants buzzing about, covering our nice pine hoose with a goldish brown colour, mental to say the least. We got decanted for the night (I don't know what that means either but Andrew told everyone that we got decanted and flitted back the next again day, it a mad Taysiders In Space language I think!) luckily next door was free and our place was sorted out by the following morning. I don't know what they done but we never seen another ant in the final week of our stay.

We will spend a couple of days in Bangkok before we head for home, just enough time to see some sights and do some Christmas shopping. It's really difficult to imagine that it's Christmas time when you are lying on the beach, but we can't wait
another red sky photo?another red sky photo?another red sky photo?

This is the penultimate one I promise....
for the festivities to begin.

Next report from Bangkok.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Warning or delight?Warning or delight?
Warning or delight?

same sky, different colours....
room with a viewroom with a view
room with a view

the last red sky photo, view from our hut.
another kind of sunsetanother kind of sunset
another kind of sunset

nice but not as dramatic, Lonley Beach, Koh Chang.
it took twelve months....it took twelve months....
it took twelve months....

but Andrew finally wore a sarong, granted it had to be Tangerine and Black but it was a start.....
once more onto the beach.....once more onto the beach.....
once more onto the beach.....

Andrew flits between his usual five minutes on the beach then 55 minutes in the water.....
Fiona runs along the beachFiona runs along the beach
Fiona runs along the beach

Kinda like Baywatch but without the plastic and the red suit.
Heads up, peace.....Heads up, peace.....
Heads up, peace.....

Malteser Heid in the water...
Nothin', just chillin.....Nothin', just chillin.....
Nothin', just chillin.....

Andrew enjoys a book on the balcony.
"Pineapples and Coconuts!!!!""Pineapples and Coconuts!!!!"
"Pineapples and Coconuts!!!!"

'Edna the tea lady' as I christened her, sells us our lunchtime snacks....
The NightclubThe Nightclub
The Nightclub

The only place that played tunes after 9pm, and boy did they play them loud, and until 5am, sweet.
The end of Lonely BeachThe end of Lonely Beach
The end of Lonely Beach

Fiona marks the spot!
Fiona lounges at "our" swimming poolFiona lounges at "our" swimming pool
Fiona lounges at "our" swimming pool

it was getting built as we were there but we were allowed to use it as the owners thought we'd moved in after 3 weeks!
My wee pal EricMy wee pal Eric
My wee pal Eric

I can't remember why he was called Eric but I'm sure it made sense at the time....
The length of Lonley...The length of Lonley...
The length of Lonley...

The beach from our end to the other side.
Our house, is in the middle of our 'street'..Our house, is in the middle of our 'street'..
Our house, is in the middle of our 'street'..

ours was the middle one with the towels on it, and either Fiona or some random person on our balcony!
Giant Ants are eating my house!!Giant Ants are eating my house!!
Giant Ants are eating my house!!

and there was millions of the wee fella's, go on boys, claim it as your own!


19th January 2006

So glad that you two are safe and sound. Was worried after not hearing anything for so long. Isn't that crazy! I'm happy to hear that you had such a good year. Thanks for sharing. We'll sure miss your blogs, as you had a wonderful way of describing things.[as a "commenter" said] Good luck and all the very best in the future. Thanks again.
28th January 2006

Hi Fiona and Andrew Did you get to India? Your pictures are just great, as has your commentary. Been looking for your wrap-up blog. Thanks for sharing.
22nd January 2009

WTF ??
Just got a load of updates ?!? You been addign photos or something ? Anyway, how the devil are you ?

Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb