Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
September 12th 2008
Published: September 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Heilan CooHeilan CooHeilan Coo

Highland Cow, named Hamish.
We did a wee trip to Scotland last week. Took a plane from Cork into Prestwick, and then went to Glasgow for the night. Glasgow is alright, the city centre has some really nice buildings. We walked around the City of the Dead which has some huge Victorian graves that were so elaborate.
The next day we went to Edinburgh, definitely one of our favorite cities. We stayed in the Old Town and walked along the Royal Mile, between Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace. We did a tour of Holyrood, where the Queen stays in Edinburgh, and where Mary Queen of Scots lived.
We did a ghost tour in the evening that took us to some underground vaults from the 1700s, where merchants used to store goods, but it was too damp so they were sealed and weren't opened up until 1996.
We met up with our tour and went out to Stirling to see the William Wallace monument and the castle. We went to the Isle of Skye, in the Highlands. Skye is beautiful, and very windy. We climbed up some cliffs and got to see the Kilt Rock, it looks like a kilt.
We spent a night in Inverness
EdinburghEdinburghEdinburgh

The Royal Mile.
and the next day headed back to Edinburgh. On the way we stopped at some 4000 year old stone circle funeral monuments, and a battlefield where Bonnie Prince Charlie was chased away by the English. We also tried the deep fried mars bar, it was alright, kind of like a donut. We had some really good soup, Cullen Skink. It's peat smoked herring with onions and potatoes in cream soup, so delicious!
We were so lucky we got a clear day at Skye, and the weather was sunny the whole weekend. We might go back for Christmas, it was great!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb